The Truth

---Flashback – 1 year previously---

"So, you're new to our school John?", A white haired girl asked as he entered his roll call classroom for the first time.

"Ah yes, I am", he responded softly.

"Great! I'm Vanilla, I'm here to make sure you get a good start and learn where everything is around the school", She replied as she put out her hand.

"Well, I'm glad to hear it then, thanks", John replied. Shaking her hand softly before they both took their seats.

---Timeskip---

Once his first few classes were finished the bell rang to signify that it was lunch time. Not really knowing where to go he stood just outside of his classroom for a moment looking around in different directions trying to work out where he should go.

After about 30 seconds he felt a tap on his shoulder.

"Hey you, ready for lunch?", Vanilla asked in a cheery tone.

"Sure, lead the way", John replied with a smile.

---Timeskip---

After completing his first day of classes John was preparing to leave the school when Vanilla came jogging into his classroom.

"Hey John", she said with a smile as she approached his desk.

"Hey Vanilla, did you have a good day of classes?

"Yep, thank you for asking", She replied happily.

"So how did you find our school on your first day?"

"It was good, I enjoyed it", John responded as he rose from his seat and slung his bag over his shoulder.

"How would you like to come and see one of the specialties of our school?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Tankery", Vanilla responded as she grabbed his hand and led him out of the classroom.

"What's 'Tankery'?"

"Well it's- It'll be easier to explain once we're there"

---Timeskip---

Once he and Vanilla had reached the Tankery sheds she had introduced him to all the other members of the team who were present at the time.

"Well it's been great to meet you all, I never thought something like this existed but it's certainly very interesting"

"Does that mean you might want to give it a try yourself?", Vanilla asked in an enthusiastic tone as her face lit up.

"Well I might want to-", John started. Stopping as a loud noise sounded behind them before it went quiet again.

Turning around, the small group of John, Vanilla, Darjeeling and Orange Pekoe saw as Rosehip hopped out of the top of her Crusader and down onto the ground.

"Woohoo! A new record!", Rosehip called out loudly. Her expression changing to one of surprise as she saw the small group standing in the Tankery shed just across from her.

"Wow...", John muttered as he watched the fiery redhead approach.

Seeing this, a slightly angered expression formed on Vanilla's face as Rosehip approached them.

"Did you see that?! A New Record Pekoe!", Rosehip called out cheerily as she gripped Pekoe by the shoulders.

"Yes that's very good Rosehip", Pekoe responded as tried to calmly recompose herself from the shock.

Darjeeling chuckled at this and Rosehip moved to say more before stopping.

"Oh, who's this?", She asked as she turned towards John who was standing at the back of the group.

"This is a new student to our school, his name is John", Darjeeling calmly replied as Rosehip walked over to him.

"Oh, well it's very nice to meet you", Rosehip responded as he and John firmly shook hands.

"And you, that was certainly an impressive entrance", John replied with a chuckle.

"That? That was nothing, just wait until you see what these babies are really capable of!", Rosehip exclaimed loudly as she and John walked over towards the tank and began to discuss everything from Tankery itself to the speed and maneuvers that Rosehip liked to utilize.

Seeing how happy John seemed talking to her, Vanilla let out a long sigh and slumped her shoulders.

"She gets all of his attention just by blasting in here at full speed... I should've just done the same thing rather than taking the time to talk with him all day", Vanilla muttered under her breath as she turned away.

"All's fair in love and war", Darjeeling softly responded. Turning to watch Vanilla leave the room over her shoulder...

---Flashback End---

"Hey..." Vanilla muttered as John approached her from across the Tankery shed.

"Hey", He replied with a downcast expression and a sigh.

"I wanted to ask-", John started. Stopping as Vanilla cut him off.

"Look I'm really sorry for what I did and... All the trouble I caused you..."

"But why would you-"

"Because I like you alright!", Vanilla called out loudly as she turned away and felt her lip quiver for a moment.

"I thought I could win you over in time but no matter what I did you just ended up spending more and more time with her", She added. Spite in her voice as she finished speaking.

"Vanilla I... I never thought that you..."

Vanilla let out a few sobs before continuing.

"I-I know that you two really l-like each other but... I g-guess I still wasn't ready to accept it..."

John let out a sigh as he thought back to his interactions with Vanilla from when he first met her all the way up to now, he realized that all the time she'd spend with him or trying to get close to him was because of her feeling for him.

"Vanilla... All that time you've spend with me since we first met up until now, you've been trying to get close to me because you really liked me... I just didn't see it because I was too busy trying to win Rosehip over..."

"Yeah well I guess it makes sense... S-She's better than me in everyway way...", Vanilla responded with a sob as John approached her and gave her a hug.

"I'm really sorry..."

As he hugged her Vanilla's eyes went wide and she slowly wrapped her hands around his back and held him tightly. Closing her eyes as a few more tears ran down her face.

After staying like this for what felt like forever Vanilla let out a sniffle before pulling back from him slightly, looking up into his eyes with her tear-filled ones.

"I-I know you like her more than me... B-But can this old friend make one selfish request?..."

"S-Sure...", John replied as he felt his heart rate increase. Not entirely sure where this was going to go.

"Kiss me...", she muttered softly for a moment.

"Uh...", John muttered, unable to find the right words.

"J-Just one kiss and I'll... L-Leave you two alone...", She added. Rising up onto her toes and closing her eyes slight as her lips parted.

John stood still for a moment in contemplation, feeling his own lips part slightly as she slowly pulled his head towards her with her hands on his back...