Chapter 1

"Quick!" A lock of her dark hair fell into place on her pearled bun and her cheeks were topped with a red powder.

"Quick!" Agnes grabbed a bunch of Amaryllis per her mothers command and bought them into the drawing room where her sister was being decorated like a centerpiece.

"Quick!" Agnes, her twin brother Alessio, Lord Humphrey, Lady Amelia and Aureliah all climbed into the carriage and off they went.

"Quick!" Everyone rushed into the hall, the children giggled tbeir way in and Lord and Lady Moore of Birchwood were announced.

"Inhale." She breathes in. "Exhale." And she lets out a shuddered breath, straightens her back, clasps her hands before her and smiles at the closed doors infront of her.

She twists the loose lock of raven hair that rests on her neck and bites the corner of her lip. She takes another long deep breath and steps forward.

"Lady Aureliah Josephine Moore."
Everyone's heads lifted in her direction and many pairs of eyes were drinking in the sight of her in her dark dress.

The dancing couples also threw glances and a group of gentlemen in the center, raised their glasses to her as she eased into the crowd.

She smiled in relief at her mother as there were no stairs she had to 'glide down majestically' and could just blend into the crowd.

That task had been proving quite difficult as every woman was dressed in the colours of the rainbow and only Aureliah was wearing pure black silk.

Coincidence? I think not.

Lady Amelia was a master among these things and she knew it was working.
She was relishing in the looks on the multiple faces across the ballroom as Aureliah greeted the Mayor and his wife.

"You are a gem, young one." Spoke the Mayor as he placed a kiss on her knuckles.
She smiled brightly but was slightly thrown by the compliment he gave her. She didn't know what to say and she felt herself panicking.
Thankfully she was saved by an older looking gentleman who swooped his way in like a large humming bird.

"May I have the honour of this dance, milady?" He asked smiling through his large, grey moustache.

"Of course, Sir. Excuse me, milord." She placed her hand onto his outheld arm and he guided her onto the dance floor.

The song ended and she was waved over by her best and most loyal friend Camilla.
"Hey, you." She beamed looking as beautiful as ever.
"Hey, yourself. You look mesmerising, Cami." Replied Aureliah leaning in for two kisses which she woukd happily trade for a tight hug.
Mother had told her off many times from hugging anyone in public.

Camilla belonged to a family of a  lower social status than Aureliah's and was banned from visiting too. This was ever since Camilla's younger sister, Lucy, ran off with the bakers son.

Aureliah never saw her anymore except for when she'd visit the market with her maids. And she knew she'd be here as Camilla had her 'entry into society' last year.

"Gosh, I miss you so much." Pouted Aureliah giving her hand a soft squeeze and smiling weakily at her.
"I miss you too, but your mother makes me want to piss myself." Camilla remarked and then both girls burst into a fit of giggles with Camilla covering her mouth with her hands.

Aureliah didn't dare turn around,  knowing very well the scowl she'd recieve from her mother.

"Cami!" Aureliah stifled another laugh as Camilla shrugged her shoulders and smirked.

This girl was something else.

"Aureliah!" Called a very high pitched voice. "Darling! And Camilla." A swish of red skirts could be seen making their way towards them.