Chapter Twenty-Two

Sharing a room with Iggy was kind of like having a congested warthog for a roommate, but Sophie didn't mind. She was warm and snuggly with the feeling of home, and even a sleepless night couldn't spoil it.

"How do you get that thing to stop burping?" Sunset moaned Thursday morning. "That thing smells."

"You love him," Sophie teased again. "Just admit it."

"Fine," Sunset said. "I guess I do like him."

Sophie grinned as they got ready for another day at Foxfire, knowing that it was a PE day. Sophie braced for more pain or something like that. 

"Twilight!" Sunset gasped as Dex and Twilight went up to them in the gymnasium, only Twilight was noticeably not wearing her glasses. 

"Yeah," Twilight put her hand to her face like she was about to push her glasses up. "Dex said that I probably shouldn't wear them this morning."

"Just trying to protect you," Dex smiled. "Besides, you got those contact thingys in, right?"

"Yeah, but they still feel uncomfortable," Twilight said. "I'll feel a lot better when lunch rolls around and I can wear them again."

"Who's ready for the Ultimate Splotching Championship?" Sir Caton asked as the Mentors strode into the amphitheater carrying huge sacks of tiny, brightly colored balls.

Everyone cheered.

"What's the Ultimate Splotching Championship?" Sophie asked Dex.

"Telekinesis," he grumbled. "I suck at telekinesis."

"And I don't think using me geode would help," Twilight groaned. 

Sophie tried to look sympathetic, but secretly she was celebrating. Finally—something she knew how to do! Well, sort of—but that was better than nothing. "How does this work?" she asked as everyone partnered up. Naturally, she teamed with Dex.

"We push the splotcher at each other with our minds," he explained, "and whoever gets splattered loses. The winners play each other until there's only one left, and that person wins."

"Everyone, on your marks," Sir Caton ordered, as Lady Alexine handed Dex a bright pink splotcher. "Get set!"

Dex tossed the splotcher toward Sophie. "Catch."

It very nearly splattered the floor, but at the last second she managed to catch it with her mind.

"Sorry, I forgot you're worse at this stuff than me," Dex said smugly. "At least I'll win one match this time."

She rolled her eyes. He shouldn't count her out yet.

She took a deep breath, focusing on the power she knew was deep within her core. She could almost feel it swirling around, like a warm buzzing in her stomach.

"Splotch!"

Sophie pushed the warmth out through her fingers and sent it toward the splotcher.

Splat!

A stunned Dex stared at Sophie with bright pink slime running down his chin. She'd nailed him right on his smug little grin.

"Sorry," she said, not quite able to hide the smile in the corners of her mouth.

"It's okay," he said through a sigh. "I guess I deserved it."

"Well done, Sophie!" Sir Caton interrupted, sounding more surprised than she would've liked. "Go ahead and move up to the winners. Dex can join those colorful prodigies over there." He pointed to a group forming on their left.

Dex scowled.

"So what's the prize for this contest, anyway?" Sophie asked before Dex wandered away.

"Usually a pardon from one punishment—but don't get your hopes up. Fitz always wins—not that Wonderboy ever does anything to need a pardon." He mimed gagging. "Anyway, I hope you win a few more rounds."

"Thanks."

"Yipee!" Sophie heard Pinkie squeal, the prodigy she was against covered in red glop. 

"Come on! I thought I won at this stuff!" Rainbow Dash groaned, trying to get the green slime off her arm as she went to the losers group.