Brain Dead

Nikolai slammed the door shut instantly and turned around, "that's bad" he claimed with his entire face scrunched, "it's really bad."

I had stepped back enough to get fresh air, "what could that even be?"

He shook his head in denial, "no idea, it's like... something is rotting inside and it's right somewhere down the door."

I looked at him, "what do we do now, we have to go inside.?" I questioned covering my nose with the inside of the elbow.

He simply shook his head and shuddered, "this is bad Kiara" he looked at me, "this is very bad. The stench is horrible, it only means that whatever's rotting down there is at the peak...but the house has been empty for nearly twenty years how is this even possible?" He asked running his fingers through his hair.

"Nikolai a lot of unexpected has been happening lately, you can't be sure if no one stepped inside the property between these years, especially if it's associated with an..." I trailed off.

He heaved a sigh, "I guess I am just getting paranoid, it's not like it's something new, I have dealt with scenarios like this but...this.. this is just..."

I walked up to him, "what is it?" I placed my hand on his shoulder

He closed his eyes and shook his head in frustration, "I am... I am just thinking about how there is no record of Dorian's funeral and now something is rotting down there... I know is absurd! Crazy even but I can't stop my mind from wandering."

"Are you... Do you think it could be Dorian's.."

"... don't say it." He warned me with a small glare, "don't give words to my worst thoughts."

"Nikolai, it is not possible and you know it, Lydia and Jonathan saw that man"

He nodded slightly, "I know I am being stupid...but...I just don't trust anyone who is outside this house at the moment."

"You are being human and it's alright. I understand how this situation can mess up with your mind, it's normal to connect dots that lead to a darker place right now... but I have these strong instincts that it's not what you think. It's an underground place, it could be anything."

He glanced at me while nodding, "you are probably right...but are you sure you want to go down there?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"You kind of...do I would never want you around something like this.?" He said raising his brow.

"You want me to choose the other option then?"

"It's debatable, I am leaning heavily towards yes.. that you shouldn't go there... But..."

"Your but gave me the answer, come on."

Before going down, Nikolai handed me some masks to reduce the smell.

"Fuck it." He cried and opened the trap door again.

The hideous stench wafted off again and threw me back, "man this is bad" I said as Nikolai lowered himself into it and I followed.

The smell only grew stronger. As I stepped down on the ground I immediately knew it wasn't a hard floor. I was walking on something soft and slippery. Nikolai laced his fingers into mine to maintain the balance.

"What on earth is this place," he said in a muffled voice as we stepped forward, "Jesus Christ" he yelled.

"Are you okay?" My heart pumped so hard that I could hardly breathe. There was snow outside but I could feel the sweat travel down my eyebrows and neck.