Ch. 9

As they walked along the pathway, the sounds of a crow cawing and the chittering of different bugs were heard, only adding to the steadily-growing creepiness that the forest was giving off. Neither of the girls spoke as they kept close to each other, both making sure the other was okay.

The sudden sound of sticks clacking together made them freeze in their spot. There was silence for a moment and then more clacking, this time in a rhythm.

"What's going on?" Ginny asked nervously, looking around as Hermione stepped closer to her.

A blur of bright orange fur suddenly jumped out from behind a tree with a loud, "Yeeeaaaaah!", startling both of the girls as it began laughing maniacally. Hermione turned around to see another one of the bright orange creatures with two sticks in its hands, clacking them together in rhythm.

"What do you want?!" Hermione demanded with wide eyes.

Two more of the creatures popped up and clapped their hands in rhythm with the music that had begun playing as the creature closest to Hermione said, "We're just out to have a good time!"

Off in the distance Ginny could see a small group of the creatures playing instruments but her attention was quickly diverted by one of the orange creatures dragging its hand on the ground to start a spark. As soon as its fingertips were on fire it actually dropped the fire into a nearby empty campfire, lighting up the surrounding area to reveal more of the creatures.

Hermione and Ginny both looked at each other as they silently began to slowly walk through the creatures as they danced, trying to subtly escape from the craziness around them. This plan was thwarted however when one of the creatures went right up to Ginny and began singing.

"Don't got no problems!"

"No problems!" The rest of the group echoed.

"Ain't got no suitcase," It went on while the others echoed, "No suitcase!"

Ginny was now somewhat amused by these creatures until the one in front of her tapped its long hands on her arms in time with the music.

"Ain't got no clothes to worry about!"

"No clothes to worry about!"

"Ain't got no real estate or jewelry or gold mines or any of that!"

Hermione laughed somewhat until she watched the singing creature effectively pull its own hand off.

"I'm just throwin' my head," It sang as it tossed its hand down into the campfire.

Ginny and Hermione stepped back in horror but looked back up to see his hand still firmly attached as if nothing had happened.

"With the chilliest bunch in the land!" He sang, pointing towards his hand as he wiggled his long, spindly fingers.

Another one of the creatures took up the singing: "It don't look much-"

"It's so chilly chilly!" Another interjected.

"They party till they glow, glow, ha!" The original sang.

"Chilly down with the fire gang!" They all sang together as they danced around the two very confused girls.

"Think small with the fire gang!"

Hermione and Ginny both looked around as each creature moved and danced around them and the fire.

"Bad heads and the fire gang!"

"Like the man said, don't lose your head!" One shouted.

"If you think it's wild, chilly down, chilly down with the fire gang!"