Chapter 13: Formidable Emptiness

For the next week, Adrien and the public remained unaware of the relationship between Gabriel and Nathalie. As far as they knew, they were still boss and assistant; nothing more than professional. Gabriel and Nathalie had decided to keep their relationship hidden as it guaranteed them the peace they needed. They kept their miraculous on themselves, but did not use them for the time being. It was their relationship that guaranteed peace in Paris.

Although being with Gabriel felt heavenly to her, she did not know what to feel when he looked at Emilie's portrait painting in the atelier. He would stand in front of it, his gaze saddening. It broke Nathalie to see him in that state. It also brought a sense of insecurity she was slightly unaware of.

Does he regret being with me? Does Gabriel want Emilie back? Nathalie asked herself as she watched him from the atelier's door. Maybe it was a bad idea to start a relationship with Gabriel.

When Gabriel turned from the painting to look at her, a wry smile spread across his lips. She walked over to him and planted a quick kiss on his lips. Gabriel returned the kiss, closing his eyes as he savored the moment.

"I love you," she gently whispered.

"We should get back to work, my dear," Gabriel said, stroking a thumb on her cheek before turning his focus on his screen.

Nathalie walked to her desk thinking, I love him. But he never says 'I love you' back.

That night, Gabriel found Nathalie peacefully reading a book at her desk. She was precious. She was everything he could ever want─ or so he thought.

"Nathalie, I think. . . I'm going to akumatize tonight."

"What?" Nathalie asked, shocked. Why would he need to akumatize when everything had been going well for them?

"I said that I will be akumatizing someone tonight."

"Do you. . . still want Emilie back?"

"Yes."

One word, three letters; a simple response that shattered her inside.

"I'm not enough for you, am I? That's the reason why you feel the need to revive Emilie?"

"I'm doing this for Adrien," Gabriel sternly replied. Nathalie suspected that he was lying.

"If it's for Adrien, then it's alright. But, if it's also because you want to be with Emilie. . ."

"You know what I feel for you, Nathalie."

"What exactly do you feel for me? What exactly do you feel for Emilie that prevents you from stopping akumatizing people?"

There was a long, thoughtful pause between them before Gabriel said, "You know I can't stop. . ."

"And I don't expect you to stop, Gabriel," Nathalie muttered, a hole starting to burn in her heart. "But you don't love me."

"I do."

Nathalie stood and walked up to him. She lay a finger over his lips, explaining, "You may love me, but you're not in love with me."

"I am, though," he persisted, gazing into her deep blue eyes.

"Then say it."

"I adore you, Nathalie."

"See. . . you can't even say that you love me."

"I already did. But adoring you is the equivalent."

"It's not the same, Gabriel," Nathalie sighed, walking away. She no longer cared if he akumatized someone that night or not. If it made him happy, so be it.