Epilogue | The Shortest End

Gabriel knew that he had to proceed with making the wish as Nathalie expected him to do so─ and he had to make haste. Gabriel could no longer risk the chance of losing Nathalie forever as the Hawkmoth sentimonster grew impatient. Knowing that Emilie would fall back into a comatose state no longer concerned him, but Nathalie losing her memories of them did.

"I'm waiting," the sentimonster growled into the phone's speaker.

"First, you have to tell me where you and Nathalie are."

"Oh, that, you'll find out once you make the wish and use the butterfly miraculous."

"I wish to retract Nathalie's wish!" Gabriel desperately blurted.

The call ended without another word from the sentimonster. Gabriel ran to the elevator that led to the atelier and grabbed the peacock and butterfly miraculous before making his way to Emilie's sleeping body. Gabriel found her still, peacefully asleep on the chair. He transformed into Shadowmoth and carried her to the basement.

Carefully, Shadowmoth placed Emilie's body where it once laid. He lamented putting her back to sleep as Adrien would not get the chance to see her. However, he was relieved that Emilie wouldn't remember anything prior to her reawakening.

"Now isn't the time to lament, Emilie. I still care for you very dearly, but I must find Nathalie now," Shadowmoth whispered to her. He stood in silence as he concentrated in search of a particular negative emotion. It did not take long for him to feel Nathalie's fear and sorrow. He went out into the night, following the emotions.

Shadowmoth jumped from rooftop to rooftop, passing over the heads of the citizens. There were multiple emotions swarming at once. There was joy, happiness. He felt their hope─ an emotion he reciprocated as the thought of holding Nathalie in his arms flooded his mind. There was resent, dismay─ more emotions he himself felt within his chest. The breeze of the night reminded him of the cold, dark wound in his heart. I'm coming for you, my Nathalie, he thought.

The Hawkmoth sentimonster blocked Shadowmoth from reaching for Nathalie's sleeping body.

"What the hell do you want now?" Shadowmoth sputtered.

"I said you could make your wish, but I never said that you could have her back," Hawkmoth taunted, dangling the amoktized object in front of him.

"I release you from existence!" Shadowmoth yelled as he snapped his fingers. He watched as the sentimonster howled in pain and disappeared. The stillness of the night sent a chill down his spine. He never took the time to fully acknowledge his surroundings as his focus was fully set on Nathalie. He kneeled next to her where she lay unconscious on the cold ground. He wrapped his arms behind her shoulders and around her waist, protectively cradling her body. Setting a gentle kiss on her forehead, he silently watched her chest rise up and down, worry spreading through him every time her breath hitched.

Shadowmoth had carried Nathalie back to the mansion and placed her on top of her bed. The moonlight shined through the curtains that dimmed the room. After detransforming, he turned on the fireplace to make sure that she stayed warm. He placed a new pair of glasses on her nightstand and plucked his glasses off his nose. Before leaving the room, Gabriel leaned over her face and pressed his forehead into hers. A teardrop fell from his eye to Nathalie's cheek. Then, he placed a long, tender kiss on her soft lips, knowing it was the last time he could do so before she woke. The door silently clicked shut as Gabriel left the room and walked to the entrance of the mansion.

"Father, thank you for letting me stay with my friends a little longer tonight," Adrien said when he entered the mansion, his bodyguard stepping inside after him.