Chapter 5 Monsters

Two days earlier

I smiled as I waved goodbye to my friends before bundling my coat around me tightly as I headed out into the cool night. The dim lights lighting my path reminded me of that first encounter I'd had with Demetri and I smiled despite myself.

I had run into Demetri in the hotel garden every night since that first night we had sat and talked. And every night, we did the exact same thing - just sat and talked about everything from art to philosophy, laughing occasionally... or, well, more like frequently. It could be argued that I was waiting for him after dinner every day because I knew he would, or at least I wanted him to, come by. But that wasn't entirely true. Tonight for example, a Friday night, I had gone out with my classmates and curiously tried my first ever alcoholic drink. It still boggled me a little to know it was perfectly legal for me to do so in Europe and I was even a little amused at my own guilty conscience for drinking 'underage'. Not that two sips of beer really counted as drinking much. I'd stayed late, enjoying the company but when it started becoming a little too raucous and loud, I decided to head back early.

Daisy had offered to go with me, but I knew she wanted to stay, knew she was hoping for a little more time with Cornelius, the British boy in our class whom I knew she had a small crush on. Not that I blamed her - with his dark hair, blue-green eyes and quiet manners, he was definitely a catch. So I waved her away, urging her to stay. Our hotel really wasn't that far and it wasn't so late that I would be in much danger going back alone. She nodded, somewhat reluctantly, and forced me to promise to text her as soon as I got back to my room. I had laughingly agreed before leaving what was slowly turning into a drunken karaoke session at the pub we'd crowded into.

As I'd predicted, I had no trouble getting back to the hotel. But I paused on my way up to my room. Something, call it pitiful hope, drew me to the garden and I told myself I was just making sure he wasn't there. Because I knew he wouldn't be. Right. I hadn't managed to convince myself and I couldn't deny my heart leapt when I saw the familiar dark figure sitting in the seat where we normally chatted the night away. His eyes were fixed on the cloudy sky where just the hint of the moon was peeking through the dark shadows. But as I came closer, it appeared he heard me as he slowly tilted his head back down to stare right at me.

"Hi." I said awkwardly and his lips curved up into his customary smirk.

"Hello."

I tried not to melt at his smooth voice. I think I partially succeeded.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, glad that my voice gave nothing away. He still seemed to sense the effect he had on me as his grin took on an entertained quality but I ignored that in favour of listening to his reply.

"Why would I not be here? It is a beautiful night and now I have lovely company to complete my evening."

I scoffed at his light flattery but I couldn't deny I was a little bit pleased. Demetri had turned out to be quite an intelligent man with unending knowledge about all the subjects we delved into. I wasn't about to snub his attentions when I was very aware I had been lucky to be able to meet Demetri during my trip to Italy. Besides, Niki would get a total kick out of it when I told her about the handsome foreigner I met even if I had no intention of turning this into a holiday fling. I wasn't that bold even if Demetri ever made an attempt at it; not that he had so far.

"So, you have been here for nearly a week already, Mia." Demetri began as I settled into the seat beside him like it was the most natural thing in the world. "Have you enjoyed your stay in Italy so far?"

"You already know I have."

He smiled at my response before he tilted his head curiously. "But I also know you have not explored the city and all its riches very much during your stay."