Chapter 13 Not a happily ever after

And then Victoria's head topples off, her flaming hair fanning out even more wildly and thankfully hiding her dismembered head as it bounces on the ground before rolling off into the undergrowth.

I sit on the ground, unmoving as I stare at the scene I just witnessed. My mind is still spinning after the events of the last minute and I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that Victoria, the newborns, all the stress of the last few weeks... all of it is behind us. Finally. And then, there's also...

I jump as Demetri's red eyes suddenly appear right in front of me. I hadn't even seen him move. His maroon orbs watch me cautiously and it should make me afraid... but I'm not. Instead, all I register is the concern on his face as he places his hand on my shoulder.

"Mia?"

As my name escapes his lips in the soft melody that I'd come to know well, I let out the breath I hadn't realized I was holding. There's an oddly sickly sweet smell in the air but the otherwise clean, cold air hits my lungs. And it hits me. It really is all over. For some reason, that makes my eyes water and Demetri's hand tightens on my shoulder in alarm.

"What's w-?"

He cuts off, startled, as I wrap my arms around his shoulders and bury my face into his chest. There's a lack of any sound where his heart is, but I don't care. Instead, I breathe in the comforting smell of honey and spice that is Demetri, allowing it to wash over me and soothe the emotions crashing over me. The relief, the shock, the odd numbness as if I still can't quite believe that we're all alive, all of it seems to want to expel itself in the form of tears which I refuse to allow. Something cold wraps around me and I realize the sturdy weight of Demetri's hand has been replaced by his arms as he pulls me gently into his embrace.

"It's all right, Mia. You're safe." He promises. I smile despite myself and nod into his shoulder.

"I know." I answer as I pull back from him, meeting red eyes with my own blue ones.

Demetri studies me for a second, as though not sure whether to believe me. But he's satisfied and he nods before he helps me up to my feet.

It's then that I notice the miniature bonfire that has been lit at the edge of the clearing, not close enough that it could accidentally set the whole forest on fire but not close to us either. By the time I've spotted it, the flames are already licking at a pile of limbs with full force and sending up a column of thick purple smoke into the air. That was what I had noticed earlier, I realize - the smell like thick burning incense. I wrinkle my nose against the overpoweringly sweet stench and unconsciously curl into Demetri, who just tucks me into his side.

Edward starts making his way gingerly toward us then, after disposing of all the vampire pieces in the fire - or rather, he walks slowly toward Bella who has been unusually quiet behind me. My sister's boyfriend (or, I suppose I should say, fiance) glances repeatedly at Demetri with wary gold eyes but he seems mostly satisfied that Demetri is not about to come after his own back. And Edward has slightly more pressing issues.

"Bella, love." Edward speaks in a soft tone, almost exaggerated as he holds his hands up with his palms facing forward. I'm confused as to why Edward is acting that way until I turn away from Demetri and look back at my sister. I almost groan.

"Bella, can you drop the rock, please?" Edward is requesting while I shake my head at the sight of my twin holding a jagged rock, likely from the rockfall I'd accidentally created, against her bare forearm where she had clearly intended to cut herself.

"Don't hurt yourself." Edward is saying carefully while Demetri watches them with mild curiosity.

"What is your sister doing?" Demetri asks me in a low voice that Bella can't hear. Edward obviously can but he's too preoccupied with my sister to bother with us at the moment.