Chapter 16 Revelations

"I still can't believe you came all the way to Rome."

I shake my head, still incredulous even two days after the fact. Demetri shrugs.

"I have sensed you growing closer for two weeks. I couldn't resist any longer, especially when you finally came within the borders of Italy." He glances back at me as he speaks. I sharply turn his head back to the front.

"Watch where you're going!"

He laughs at me. "I don't need to look forward to know where I'm going."

"Yeah, well, if we run off a cliff, you might survive but I wouldn't." I sniff and Demetri chuckles.

"I would never let anything happen to you, mia cara."

My heart skips a beat and there's no way Demetri misses it with the way my chest is pressed against his back. I bury my face into his neck in embarrassment while he laughs at my expense.

"I swear you do that on purpose." I grumble, only to be surprised when he lifts me further up his back so he can shoot me a wink.

"Of course I do, mia cara."

My heart does its thing again and Demetri laughs while I blush red. Leaning my head on Demetri's shoulder, I watch the world blur by. I'm starting to not feel the motion sickness that I used to when a vampire would carry me at basically lightning speed, and I'm actually able to enjoy the feel of the wind on me. Even if I can't actually see anything with how fast Demetri is moving.

"Your friends seemed... kind." Demetri suddenly comments after a moment where we had stayed in content silence.

I glance down at him questioningly.

"Your friend, Angela. She is a good friend to watch out for you as she does."

Instead of feeling pleased, I suck in a sharp breath.

"I knew you were listening!"

Demetri shrugs, not denying it while I remember what had occurred earlier that morning.

***********

It had still been dark when I had said goodbye to Angela and Ben at the crack of dawn before they headed to the airport. Ben had climbed into the waiting taxi first, giving us space to say goodbye to each other in privacy. Thinking we were safe, Angela had said softly, "Demetri seems nice, Mia. I'm glad."

I'd seen this coming but I was awkward, conscious of the fact that if Demetri had returned to the hotel from his hunt, he would be able to hear us. "Thanks, Ange."

"I mean it, Mia." Angela looked thoughtful. "When you came back from Spring Break, I was worried. You looked so sad sometimes. But now, seeing you guys together, I know Demetri is a good guy. And even though I only saw him for two days, I think he'll really take care of you."

"Well, no one can beat Ben, right?" I said weakly. Angela smiled.

"Of course not. But," she grew more serious. "Demetri seems to come close. At first, I didn't think he could. There's something... about him. Something... almost dangerous."

I barely managed to conceal my grimace.

"But the way he treats you, the way he watches over you, the way he makes you smile... That's what's really important. And as your friend, I'm glad you've found someone like him."

I had no idea what to say to that. But after a moment of just staring at her, I hugged Angela tightly.

"Thanks, Ange."

It was the same two words but I said it differently. Angela smiled at the emotion in my voice and she hugged me back.

"Hey, don't get all mushy." She joked, not knowing what was really going on in my head.