C H A P T E R - T H I R T Y - N I N E

Alyssa Torres and Kelly Severide slide out of the car, rolling down the back windows for Cosmo who jumped up onto the car door to watch the couple walk away.

The woman reached down and grabbed the man's hand. She still loved the way his hand felt in hers even though they were constantly holding hands. Half the time, they fell asleep with their hands clasped together in whatever position they were laying in.

His hand was firm yet soft and relaxed in hers. His shoulders were tense and he kept the woman close to his side, ready to protect her if she got uncomfortable or if they ran into any ... unwanted guests. He was a strong man, that was obvious to everyone but with his shoulders squared, he looked threatening. Like if you were to look at him the wrong way, he'd knock your ass to the ground.

Kelly would protect the woman at any cost and, since this was the first time that she left the house to go out into the public, he wasn't ready for her to fall back into her shell.

Alyssa was so close to him that she was almost behind him which Kelly didn't mind too much. If she was behind him which meant that he ran into anyone first and could protect the woman. The only problem was if someone came up from behind them but it wouldn't take long for him to move the woman closer to him.

Naturally, he was ecstatic that the woman was finally okay to leave the house and enter the public but he was also extremely terrified. He was worried that something would happen to Alyssa and she'd be back into her shell and it'd take another three months to get her to leave the apartment.

The couple entered the large warehouse store and almost instantly, Alyssa grabbed a cart, knowing that she wanted more than they'd be able to carry.

As soon as they walked into the store, there was a display holding all different kinds of muffins and cookies.

Noticing the tugging on his hand, Kelly turned to see that Torres was pulling him towards the display case.

"Princess," he chuckles.

"I want muffins," she whines, pulling him over to the display.

"We have no need for muffins," The man tries to reason.

"We need it because you love me," Alyssa says, standing as tall as she could in front of the man even though he was a whole head taller than her.

"You think you're cute?" he asks, raising an entertained eyebrow.

"I think I'm adorable," she says, giving the man a wide, flirty smile.

Kelly shakes his head, chuckling as he reaches over the woman's shoulder and grabs a pack of muffins, tossing them into the cart with a clatter.

"Happy now?" He asks, his amused eyebrow still raised and she nods with a smile, leaning up and gently kissing his cheek.

Alyssa grabs the handle of the cart once more and begins to push it through the store, eying the aisle as she goes, Kelly next to her, his hand tight in hers. It was somewhat of a struggle to try and push the cart with one hand but the woman didn't complain nor remove her hand from the man's grasp.

Just holding hands was a very romantic thing for the couple. Most of the time, holding hands was a very basic, first date kind of thing but with their relationship being halted before sex, kissing and holding hands was as romantic as they could get. Neither of them minded, though, they were both perfectly content with holding hands, cuddling, and kissing.

"Feeling okay?" Kelly asks.

Alyssa had been looking down the book aisle and her head had snapped over to face the man as he spoke.