Chapter Twelve: An Unexpected Arrival

In Umbridge's class, I remain uncharacteristically quiet as I pay rapt attention to the tension between our deranged professor and Darwin. I really don't want to get in between the two of them, as I'm particularly enjoying how Umbridge's malicious attentions are entirely directed at the conceited Gryffindor. Draco is right next to me and snickering along with me at every pointed remark Umbridge shoots at our nemesis.

Potions is an entirely different story. The amount of horrible remarks Narcissa is letting Darwin get away with saying is appalling. I try to focus on writing notes for the subject matter Narcissa is teaching to us, but the tip of my quill breaks through the parchment a few times as I try to control my anger. I can only imagine how Draco is feeling.

"Can someone tell me which ingredient of this particular healing potion sets it apart from other healing remedies?" Narcissa asks the class. I see Darwin's hand shoot into the air, and growl a little as I bring my arm up as well. Narcissa smiles when she sees my hand and nods in my direction. "Miss Mortisia?"

"Cayenne," I say loudly. Darwin's face turns to sneer at me, and I wink at him. I ignore how Narcissa's eyes catch our subtle exchange and continue on quickly. "Because of its strong ties to darker potions and spells like Hot Foot Powder and other concoctions designed to cause harm to whoever it's given to -" I give Darwin a sweet smile that's meant to be nothing less than a direct threat, "-it isn't usually something that is used for healing potions or any other more positive potion."

Narcissa gives me a look of pride as she nods. "Precisely. I couldn't have said that better myself." She wanders through the rows of desks as she continues. She moves around the room a hell of a lot more than Snape ever did. It gives ample opportunity for certain undesirable students to make disrespectful gestures when she's turned away from them or for some to check her out. It's become a regular thing, and Darwin has definitely been an influence in the way much of the class behaves towards and views Narcissa. "So, because of the potency cayenne can have, I can't stress this enough; do not go over or under the exact amount needed while you're brewing this potion. But if you get it just right, it can be extremely effective in treating many magical ailments. This has been a more recent discovery, which was first tried by a modern witch most of you will recognize the name of." She flashes me the most subtle of smiles, and I swear I see her wink. "Millie Alstroemeria, a revolutionary woman. She has made a strong wave in the realm of potions for the past near decade. She's been a game changer."

My chest swells with pride for my godmother. Of course, she's made far more breakthroughs than what the rest of the Wizarding World sees. I wonder what Narcissa would make of all the potions Millie has kept a secret, some of which are in the little notebook she's given me for the school year. I think she would be astounded. As I've been discovering, Narcissa has a healthy respect for Millie and has been proving to be a massive fan of her work.

"I'm giving you today and tomorrow to study this before we attempt to brew it on Wednesday. Please don't hesitate to ask me questions. Like I said, any slight variation of measurements can quickly lead to a complete backfiring, and I would prefer not to have to extinguish any fires, explosions, or give out antidotes for any negative effects. Let's postpone any mishaps to Friday. At least then we'll have two days to recover from the stress." A few snickers follow that comment. I giggle a little and try to catch the eye of Neville Longbottom, who is already sinking lower into his chair as he realizes that half of the class has turned to stare at him pointedly. A few seats away from him, I see Hermione Granger mutter something and roll her eyes. I can imagine she's said something about how childish everyone is being.

Narcissa passes Darwin again and I watch as she blatantly ignores the suggestive look he gives her. I'm sure it's a good thing she doesn't take anyone's bait, but I can't say I'm nearly as mature, because I really want to set fire to his hair and eyebrows all of the sudden. His next move, of course, is to look at me and Draco, and I slowly drag my finger over my throat. He only grins at me. I'm unbothered by his dismissive reaction. After all, he won't be grinning like that when I beat his ass later if he keeps this up for much longer. I may as well let him have this moment to feel satisfied with himself before I wipe it off his face permanently.