Chapter Nine - New Starts with Giant Problems

Guys...what can I say? I've been away for a while; the past eighteen months or so have been problematic for everyone, not just me. All I can do is apologise for the delay and hope that you continue reading and enjoying my story and, as always, will try to not make you all wait so long for another upload.

Happy reading and thank you for being patient.

The next month or so, After Caspar's first birthday, passed in a busy blur for Severus. Caspar became fully mobile a few weeks into July and he spent half of his time chasing her around, the rest of his time was spent spying for the Order, trying to gather new information.

"All that is said on the matter is 'the insider says this' or 'the insider says that', he never mentions names but, as far as I've heard, they've not learned anything important or anything we didn't feed them." Severus tells Dumbledore quietly. The two men were tucked in the corner of the Potter's sitting room, away from the small gathering that had been arranged to celebrate Severus' new job.

"Thank you, Severus" Albus nods and then looks around, watching the small group of people who were laughing at Harry as he fell asleep, his face falling into his large slice of chocolate cake. "Are you looking forward to starting your new position tomorrow?"

"More nervous than excited, Albus" Severus admits, turning back to the Headmaster and saying "is there nothing more we can do to protect them? We don't know who this person is, we don't know how close to Lily and James they are, we don't-"

Albus turns his focus back on Severus and shakes his head, sighing "no, but as long as Sirius remains their secret keeper, they will have nothing to worry about, they will remain safe and hidden."

"But what if it is Sirius?"

"Do you really think that it could be?" Albus asks with raised eyebrows.

"No" Severus grunts "he's proven his loyalty and, if it were, I think that James and Lily would already have been attacked."

"Precisely" nods Dumbledore "they've entrusted their lives to Sirius and I genuinely believe that they have chosen well."

Severus stayed at the Potter's a little longer than he usually would have done; Caspar had already fallen asleep so he wasn't in too much of a rush to get her back home. Dumbledore had assured him that he would have most evenings free to do what he liked and, therefore, could see James, Lily and Harry everyday if he wanted to but, being new to the faculty of his old school, he wanted to spend the first month or so getting used to the changes in his daily schedule which meant that he wasn't sure when he'd be able to spend time with the small family again after he leaves tonight.

He looked around the room, Lily was on the floor with her back against James' legs as she shot bubbles out of her wand for, a very sleepy Harry's, entertainment. James was talking to Sirius with such animation that, every now and then, his hands would come so close to his wife's head that her hair moved in the slight breeze that his motions were creating. Remus was sat beside James with Casper cradled in his arms, he watching the sleeping child with a curious but relaxed look on his face as he stroked her hand, which was curled around one of his fingers, with his thumb.

Never in a million years did Severus expect to be in the company of Sirius Black, James Potter and Remus Lupin out of choice, let alone friends (for the most part) with them but, as he watched them all in turn, he felt a familiar sensation of warmth flood through him as he realised that, right now, there was no place that he'd rather be than here with them.

"Severus?" Lily laid a hand on his forearm as he extracted Caspar from Remus who, once she was in the safe embrace of her father, wrapped her arms around his neck and continued sleeping with her face nestled into his neck, dribbling on the collar of his shirt. Severus focused on his childhood best friend and accepted her gentle hug as she said, "I was going to wish you luck but I don't think you'll need it, Sev, you're going to be brilliant."