Chapter 11 - Death in a thousand green forms

The ragged column arrived at their destination with little fanfare, a single musician began a half hearted rendition of 'The Barmaid From Redstone.' But it was quickly stifled by a sergeant with little appreciation for music and even less for stupidity, luckily this little breach in discipline failed to attract the attention of any pursuing orcs.

Alfonso gazed upwards taking in the sheer walls of Scarborough manor, they were certainly as intimidating as he remembered them. Alfonso's tired muscles resented even this slight movement, and he groaned inwardly as the pain made him lightheaded. His demons whined in sympathy and alphonso sent them calm soothing thoughts, his gaze then fell on his travelling companion and took no small pleasure in the fact that William was just as miserable as he was. The man sensed Alfonso's gaze and returned it, his predatory eyes seemingly taking in Alfonso's entire character in an instant.

"The portcullis is up and the drawbridge lowered Alphonso, are you psychic now? or does the manors Castellan have the eyes of a hawk." Williams wry grin betrayed amusement at this seemingly fortuitous omen, but his flinty eyes showed the questions seriousness.

"Neither William" replied Alfonso, "I believe the correct answer is that even with all these orcs around the Castellan believes himself safe enough to leave the manor virtually undefended." His anger was swiftly overcoming his weariness, what was that fool doing? Didn't he realise the danger he was in? 'Only one way to find out' he mused

Alfonso stopped his horse and wheeled to give out his orders. "Men! the journey has been harsh and breaks short and irregular. You are to stop here and make camp, William you are to follow me with ten men, we make for Scarborough manor immediately. Gideon oversee the camps construction, send E Company to keep an eye on our pursuers and don't let them get within sight of the manor. Soldiers of Scarborough you have your orders! Carry them out with efficiency and effort and I might let you eat a hot meal." There was a slight chuckle at this as the soldiers broke ranks to begin the arduous process of fortifying there position.

"Might let them eat a hot meal" William growled "these men deserve their weight in gold after what you've put them through." His scowl was wolfish and showed more teeth than Alfonso would've thought possible.

Alfonso shook his head to clear it and laughed "relax William it's a joke, now gather the men and let's go and see who's stupid enough to leave a castles drawbridge down with orcs on the horizon."

William grunted before turning to a nearby group of men that had hung back for this express purpose. "Rothberg, reckon your old bones can handle another few minutes in the saddle."

"Old!" The wiry silver haired sergeant replied "I think you'll find you and me are around the same age sir, but me and my boys are up for it; aren't we lads?" A chorus of faked dismay echoed from the other men, a mixed bag of troops from both regiments.

Williams smile had become forced, it seemed to Alfonso that Rothberg's age had come as a surprise to him, but before he could ask about it William wheeled his horse and began a brisk trot towards the looming manor. Alfonso instantly spurred his horse to follow and together with Rothberg's men sped off towards whatever awaited them.

Tyler watched them go, his curiosity piqued, he had been posing as a ranker in Alfonso's column for the last couple days. And the information he was gathering almost made the aches and pains worth it. 'Why would Alfonso go with only ten men, shouldn't he have taken his whole column to be welcomed with open arms by the manors occupants? Could it be that he does not trust his fellows in the manor, curiouser and curiouser.'

"Oi! You there waddaya think your doin' layin about" Tyler groaned inwardly as a big corporal marched up to him. The soldier had a good head on him, but Tyler still had to fain his intimidation.