Chapter 12 - Broken Blades

Woah betide any who trespass on Scarborough land
For they'll have to deal with Scarborough steel
And Scarborough steel is strong and sharp
As is a Scarborough hand...

Alphonso paused in his soft singing as a fresh explosion erupted from the orcish ranks, a soft whistle of appreciation sounded behind him, he didn't turn around, already knowing who it was.

"Well?" He asked still facing the hoard below him on the plain "how did we fair?"

"All in all not as bad as first expected, the rearguard held off the orcs for long enough to get almost all our food and ammo inside, that's close to eighty rounds per man and full rations for a month. As for artillery a few old cannons remain fixed in their wall mounts... I wouldn't trust them not to do more damage to us then the Orcs though."

Alphonso breathed an inner sigh of relief, before finally turning to the giant behind him "water situation?"

"Sound" replied Gideon his rich baritone echoing throughout the courtyard "the manor possesses a functioning well and an emergency supply in the cellars that will last us three days, possibly seven on extreme rationing."

Another sigh of relief this time very audible "good... good, this will all be over before we have to worry about rationing I feel." He watched Gideon lean on the crenellations to his right, the big man keeping his thoughts to himself. Silently judging everyone and everything around him, seeking fault, seeking talent an inquisitor in body language as well as title.

"Are they still fighting?" The inquisitor asked gesturing to the cries in the distance a small but noticeable space was closing in the orc ranks. Gideon had the experience to imagine the orcs picking through the corpses salvaging anything that took their fancy, possibly having a late night snack on the bodies. At that moment he pitied Alphonso his inexperience, the boy had felt the joy of victory but not the sting of defeat and its grisly consequences.

"No... but a few broke through to the tree line an hour or so ago... but I imagine they'll be gone soon." Already the space was shrinking as fresh wave of orcs crashed through the treeline.

"Think any survived?"

"No."

Gideon nodded sagely, his eyes shifting from the battle in the distance to his pseudo commanding officer.

"A pity, the losses will dishearten the men." He looked at Alphonso meaningfully "you can't give them time to mourn boy, you've got an ugly mess of too many veterans telling stories and enough wet behind the ear rookies to believe them."

Alphonso jumped his brief peace broken "you think I don't know that" his gaze drifted once more back to the treeline his voice quieting "tomorrow we start drilling with the locals, get men to man the cannons and someone to tech them. Then you and I will inspect the defences and see just what my brothers been up to all these years."

Gideon nodded and turned to leave but Alphonso's voice stopped him, all trace of disquiet replaced by steel. "Distribute a ration of ale Gideon, but just one, I don't need drunk sentries, and send up William and Captain Leonard I'll need to talk to them about force deployment. Oh and if my brother wants to come don't stop him."  As Gideon walked away he heard Alphonso finish the sentence to himself "who knows he might prove useful."

Next morning

"You useless wrinkled old women couldn't hit the side of a castle wall if the wall painted a target on itself and walked up to yous all nice and slow like. Me dear old Nan could scrub out a barrel faster than you lot and she died before I was born!"