Chapter 4 - A darkness hidden

Inquisitor Gideon Ravener rubbed his bald head, and pondered, he was watching the camp of soldiers Alfonso had somehow managed to bring together. Alfonso was a fool, but then again so was his father it appeared it was hereditary. 'Damnit' when he had promised a dying Orlando his loyalty and continued service he'd never imagined reason would be in the description.

His observations had proved intriguing some of the men in front of Gideon were clearly rookies, smoking and laughing, but others were hardened veterans. Keeping busy cleaning weapons or equipment and setting up camp for the night. Gideon noticed the clear separation between the two groups of soldiers, each glared at each other with suspicion, contempt, sadness or all three. Rarely were words exchanged and there was a clear divide down the middle of the camp.

Just when the inquisitor was about to head back to Alfonso, he felt a prick on his throat, "and who might you be" the man behind him spoke. The inquisitor felt surprise and relief at the same time, surprise that he'd been... well surprised and relief it wasn't an Orcish scout.

William stared hard at the bald man in front of him, the carefully etched Symbols tattooed into his scalp confusing him somewhat. Doggedly William forced them out of his mind and motioned for Olle to come of hiding. He allowed the man to rise but remained on guard never taking his eyes off the heavily armed giant in front of him, slowly reaching for the back of his calf to grasp his throwing dagger.

He had been taking a walk with Olle, recounting old battles and commanders, always leaving out that one person he wouldn't talk about. If Olle even realised he was picking and choosing his war stories he chose not to say it out loud. The boy had listened contently while William recounting a particularly brutal rearguard action near were they were camped when he had noticed strange imprints in the dirt at his feet. Following them it turned out they were the clear indents of plate armoured boots, all the soldiers in the camp possessed chain mail at best so these had to belong to an intruder. Following the tracks they found Alfonso barely conscious in a clearing; after ensuring his commanding officer was otherwise unharmed they had resolved to continue following the heavy imprints. Thusly finding themselves in their present predicament.

Gideon smiled when he finally spoke "I wouldn't do that if I was you William Lockhart."

To Gideon's surprise the man cooly replied, "you know my name, now let's make it an eye for an eye, and you tell me yours before that comment becomes literal." Not caring that Williams threat implied self mutilation Gideon's grin widened.

"you are as cocky as they claim in Vocans Academy, my summoning friend." A gasp behind William reminded them both of Olle. Before either could form a response however an epic collision occurred between a charging Minotaur and a stalking Hydra.

"Looks like your colonel has awoken Mr Lockhart and run straight into my Minotaur, not exactly the move I would've made" Gideon's face quickly resuming its usual dour expression after this rare excursion into dry humour concluded. 

The plateau the inquisitor had chosen for his observations wasn't ideal for duels, slippery autumn leaves making for unsure footing and shear sides promising a painful demise to any that slipped. William looked around rapidly for any sign of Alphonso momentarily forgetting the giant intruder in his haste to locate his superior officer.

"Over there!" Shouted Olle, Williams gaze followed Olle's outstretched arm until he saw Alphonso tentatively picking his way through the undergrowth, desperately trying to avoid sullying his coat.

Alphonso surveyed the heavily wooded plateau for any other targets or threats, relying on Kreezot his mite and Tempest his Felid to announce any other daemons hiding in bushes. The miniature and hydra were still going at it behind him, Alfonso struggling to control the rampaging daemon with his other two also summoned and raring to fight. 'Well this was a shambles' he thought, he hadn't felt this out of control since his mother had died 14 long years ago gifting him her summoning powers in the process.

Gideon stood on the other side of the plateau beside Lieutenant William gazing at him cooly, knowing that with daemons now involved in their battle he was severely unmatched. Alphonso took some satisfaction in that at least, he noted the presence of another of his soldiers presumably Williams new aide. He smiled with satisfaction at seeing his fathers envoy well and truly trapped. That satisfaction quickly faded as two monstrous forms barrelled into the clearing leaves and branches flying as they demolished whole trees in their fight to the death.

William watched as the two daemons clashed, they were both a high level, and William knew they could fight for hours if their masters didn't do something soon. He watched Alphonso intently trying to gauge what he'd do next, Olle had appeared behind him stinking of fear. Suddenly William felt a tug at the back of his mind, a tug he had long suppressed a felling of pain and betrayal, a feeling of hurt deeper than any creature had the right to be exposed to. He fell to his knees tormented by his own personal daemons, Olle knelt down beside him clearly worried, the pain was unbearable.

"get away!" William screamed hysterically clutching his head as blood ran from his eyes, ears and nose, the tug quickly became a pull a savage yank on his sudconscience.

The others had noticed the stirring to, the hydra and minotaur gingerly separating and retreating to protect their respective summoners. Sensing the powerful presence emanating from the wiry bearded man spasming wildly in front of them. Williams screams suddenly began piercing the warm Autumn afternoon as a presence he had kept hidden for 14 years broke free from his control. A figure began manifesting before them it was Bligsturken, a bipedal beast standing roughly five metres tall its true dimensions shrouded within a thick veil of shadow. Dark purple flames roaring to life all over its massive arms and clawed fists. The rapid impressions of crimson scales, a protruding dog like muzzle, and long curved horns adorning the top of its head was all the men in the plateau were allowed to witness before a roar of pure bellicose triumph knocked them all to the ground.

And then before the beast was fully manifested it disappeared, only black hate filled smoke left behind. William had finally stopped screaming and collapsed, his world turning black, his eyes vaguely registering three men above him. The big bald intruders stern gaze, Alfonso's curly brown hair framed a deep frown the colonel looking like he had a serious case of buyers remorse, last of all was Olle's look of fear and horror. He tried to say something but before William could do anything, he finally succumbed to sleep as the ceaseless tugging... ceased... if only for a moment.

Don't forget to vote and comment : D