IX

"You don't need to go out there." Jinx tried one last time as he saw Virat padding up.

"I could go, or we could send Manish out." He said hopefully but then they saw Mayank get out on the television in the changing room and Virat stood up, rolling his shoulders to get rid of the tension.

"I'm going to go mad if I just sit here waiting for the news like this," Virat admitted to both of them and Jinx finally gave in, he knew if there was anything that helped Virat let his energy out it was the game.

"You couldn't go to the hospital?" He asked hesitantly as Virat put his helmet on and instantly regretted his question when he saw his shoulders stiffening. 

But Virat forced a smile on his face and shrugged, clenching his gloves tightly in his grip, "I wanted to be there for her today but she wouldn't let me. Made me swear upon it. Absolutely mad." He muttered with a shake of his head.

"You're-"

"I'm fine." Virat cut him off before he could finish his question, already knowing where this would lead to, and patted Jinx on the shoulder before walking out of the changing room.

Manish joined Jinx out in the dugout and stood beside him. "You know he's either going to get out real soon or he's going to go berserk today."

Jinx couldn't help the laugh that escaped him and he looked down as he chuckled at the accuracy. Manish also grinned, throwing an arm around his shoulders as they watched Virat take his position. The ball came towards him and what happened was exactly what Manish had said.

"Big one! Kohli just lines that one up and tees off. That is a massive hit over long-on. No-one's getting anywhere near that unless they're in the stands." (6)

"Is this his way of letting the world know that Virat Kohli is back? Because if this is how it's going to be then I'm sure we'll be having a hit show today. And here it goes-"

"Oh that's clean as a whistle. Jumps out of the crease, turns this short ball into a length one, and drives it inside-out for a flat six over cover. Beautiful shot by Virat." (6)

"Kohli seems to be on a roll today, this is brave batting. He makes room, gets inside a short ball, and upper-cuts it for six over the shorter boundary."(6)

"Take that! Clarke comes round the stumps to Virat who plants one foot down the ground and hits that ball oh-so-sweetly over midwicket. That is a terrific hit that goes all the way."(6)

"Another! short one banged in and Kohli was waiting for that. He was in position really quickly and hits it in front of midwicket. That is another huge hit."(6)

"Huge heave! That is a monstrous blow. Virat comes down the pitch and brutally muscles this over midwicket. That is pure power all the way and it clears the ropes."(6)

Manish could not stop himself from shouting in excitement making an equally excited Jinx wince beside him as he threw his hands in the air. "Come on cheeku." He hollered loud enough for Virat to glare at him from the ground and Jinx burst out laughing when he saw the annoyed expression on his face.

Rohit, who was standing on the non-striker's end walked towards him and he was about to throw his arm around his shoulder when Virat extended his fist instead.  And in a split second, everything came back to Rohit, and he remembered how things were still unresolved between the two of them.

"Excellent strike rotation. Rohit makes room for a single, tries to run back for another but it's a second too late for that one." (1)

"Shot! The ball's full and just a tad wide, but more than enough for Kohli to stand and square-drive that smack through the two-point fielders." (4)