ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ

As it turns out, there was an end of things to do. A period in a sentence followed by a pause and the possibility of regrowing another sentence. With fun things to do on an island full of everything possible, Kaia Johnson hardly ever ran out of things to do. Right now was somehow different as she sits surrounded by boredom. Her thumb slides against the screen of her phone, no notifications alerting her of people making plans. She was inside alone, curled up under a blanket with the television turned on as background noise. It wasn't the best circumstances the day after a huge hurricane, but everybody was working hard outside to get everything organized to the way it once was. And this was better than running around following her parents' commands.

Whenever she was home, she was used to her house being quiet. She didn't have any siblings who would lighten up the silence, but her friends coming over unannounced helped with the walls being filled by nothing. She often spent time outside too, but the hurricane restricted things to do both outside and inside. As mentioned before, quite accurately was there nothing to do.

In Outer Banks, there was always something on the agenda. However, Kaia found herself alone with the help of anybody who she could think of being pulled into helping workers by the order of their parents. She was let off easy, but she couldn't say the same for the workers of whom her father was barking orders at outside. Especially with the island being divided into two separate sections, the Pogues and the Kooks, the latter being the side of which she belonged.

Kaia wasn't a diehard and defensive Kook as some of her other friends, having their minds set on the Pogues being worthless people with attitude problems. Her father runs an import and export company on the mainland, making her and her last name's successes well known across the entire island. She wouldn't ever hang out with the Pogues alone, their reputation creating a vivid image of what would follow.

She stands up, suddenly not caring if she showed up somewhere unannounced, and walks towards the front doors. She tucks her phone into the back pocket of her jean shorts. Shifting her weight in between her feet, Kaia quickly pulls her shoes on. Grabbing a baseball cap, she twists open one of the front door handles and makes her way outside.

The heat outside doesn't change what she felt inside, the air conditioning not working at all. Kaia jogs down the driveway, the stones crunching under her feet as she picks up speed. The wind helps cool her down, but she hardly feels it with the heat of the sun beating against her back.

The Cameron's house is only a few blocks away, so with the motivation of being occupied with something other than boredom, she makes it there in record time. She sees Ward, Sarah's father, on her way in, muttering a polite greeting inspired by his business connection to her father. When she approaches the door, she doesn't bother to knock, especially with all of the chaos surrounding their house with fallen trees and knocked-over decorations.

When she walks in, she leaves the door open for the fresh air to continue getting the breeze from outside. She turns her head from the door to the sound of footsteps rounding the corner. "Oh, hey! I was going to come over now and tell you that there's a kegger in the Boneyard tonight. You're coming, so..." Sarah jabs her thumb into the direction of the stairs, "Let's go get ready."

The Boneyard is like Switzerland. It's the one place where everybody inhabiting Outer Banks keeps a low profile and enjoys themselves. The Kooks and Pogues tried to keep everything minimalistic and focus on having a good time instead of stirring up drama. New faces show up every time they plan something there, the Tourons. Everybody listens to music and socializes with each other, and no fights or arguments have been brought up the last few times they threw something there. Kaia was hoping that tonight would be no different.

"Uh... yeah, okay. I'll be up in a few minutes." Sarah doesn't question her best friend deciding to roam the main floor, so she just shrugs and walks up the stairs.

fire and flame ⇢ rafe cameronOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara