ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪx

Kaia's hands slide down the side of her body, the dress her mother had bought specifically for this occasion now snug around her curves. Quite frankly, she didn't hate having to dress up, especially for something this small with her friends close by. There was a time where she did. Dresses were just a way of proving to the world that she was in fact a girl and proper for living in this world. That's what Kiara and her shared an opinion on. Except Kaia eventually grew out of that opinion and realized what she needed to do in order to keep her family happy. Their happiness regarding her didn't really matter at all, but she noticed how most boys, even men who are too old for her, looked at her when she walked in a room. And every time she did so, they would be satisfied to not see a boy accompanying her.

She glances over at her locked doors, double checking to make sure that no one would come into her room in the next few minutes. Sliding open a drawer of her vanity, she pulls out a roll of duct tape and the bag of cocaine Rafe had refused to give her the day before, but dropped it off before heading to the dinner. He was wary about his father's current dislike for his son and didn't want to jeopardize it by showing up with coke to a supposed formal event. First, she would have to get through this dinner.

It was held at the country club, and it was as if the person who had planned the evening wanted to do nothing but bore the attendees. Her father calls out for her to hurry up and join them downstairs, but she quickly pulls up the hem of the dress. It wasn't the first time that she had done this, and she couldn't guarantee that it would be the last. Pressing the bag against her inner thigh, she pulls the end of the duct tape between her mouth and slowly unravels it. The noise is loud, but whatever, her parents had better things to do than to question a cracking sound echoing from her room.

Securing the bag against the inside of her thigh with three thick pieces of duct tape before she adjusts her dress halfway down her thighs. She drops the roll of tape into her drawer before walking over to her mirror.

When her family began bringing her to these functions, her mother would always pick the most uncomfortable and least flattering dresses possible. Over time, however, her mother became better at picking the suitable dresses that offered comfort in the form of an eye-catching dress. A dark green dress that looks as if it was seen in a rainforest at midnight. It's snug until her hips, where the fabric is stretched and flows loosely close to her legs. The spaghetti straps leave her collarbones on display and the v neckline sinks enough to show the top of her cleavage.

She knew that if Kelce were invited to this, he wouldn't hesitate to make a comment about the tight fit of her dress and that it's her family's way of putting her up for prostitution. In return she would hit him, not gently, on the back of the head without their parents watching. She silently prayed that he wasn't secretly invited, but either way, she wasn't going to worry about it.

Hearing her mother call her name once again, she sighs in annoyance. She strides across her bedroom to the door, unlocking it before opening the door and grabbing her high heels. They're simple—straps around the ankle, but simple. Walking down the hallway towards the top of the stairs, she pauses before slipping them on. She peers over the railing to see her parents waiting patiently at the front doors. Kaia watches as her mother checks her watch for the time and clears her throat before calling out again.

"Jesus, woman! I'm here!" Kaia stands up and sends a wicked smile down to her mother. "Shoes are ridiculously complicated and highly overrated."

"Say that when the bottom of your feet are shredded and covered with blisters. Get down here."

Her hands shoot up in defence before walking down the stairs to join her parents. Her father opens the door while her mother shoves past the two of them, rolling her eyes in the process. Kaia's mouth twitches up into a proud smirk before her dad squeezes her shoulder, leading her out of the house.