Eighty

The morning sun had just started to stream through the windows. Cyrus leaned back on the throne, all was going according to plan: Ellora was the Queen Consort, Alyn insured she would stay as such, the provinces were falling in line because of their daughters and dignitaries in the dungeon, and his spies had just informed him that Nicola would soon be found. He had left Anemos with his sisters. He would probably set up a safe house somewhere. Cyrus had effectively done everything he had set out to do. He just wished Nicola was here so he could gloat about it. Cyrus imagined him sitting sullenly in the corner. That would be perfection. Cyrus sighed. However, if he allowed Nicola back into the capital, there could be another uprising and Ilios would be taken back over. To be sure, Nicola and his sisters would have to die as soon as possible. It would need to be done in secret, if he put their names on a sign, they would become immediate heroes. He motioned to the air. A private guard emerged from the shadows, "Kill Nicola and his sisters, secretly. Bring me their heads for the castle wall."

Alyn wanted to grimace in the corner, but knew that his face would give him away. He stood tacitly on the other side of the throne, listening in on the conversation as it continued with some small pointers on where Nicola may be hiding out.

Cyrus stood, glanced at Alyn and went to leave the room, "It's time to see my bride!"

Alyn and his four guards followed him immediately. Alyn tried to keep his composure. Everyday, Cyrus visited Ellora, happily and scheming. He had no idea what new thought had popped into Cyrus' head, but it was certain that Cyrus was going to use those around him until he died. It kindled the guilt in him for placing his sister in the hands of such a puppet master. He swallowed as the guards to Ellora's room opened the door. The looks of scrutiny that she gave him broke his heart every time and he deserved every single one of them.

Ellora glared at Cyrus, "Your Majesty, you're here early today." Her maids scurried about her, hurriedly tying her skirts on.

"Did I interrupt?"

"If at the very least you could give me more warning than a few minutes, I could be fully prepared for your visits." She grimaced, holding out her arms as her maids pulled the sleeves of her top in place. They pinned the bodice quickly, luckily she was wearing so many layers, it was unlikely that they would stab her. When they were finished she shooed them away.

Cyrus had expected her to be embarrassed and rosy at the unannounced intrusion, but she did not seem embarrassed at all, "Disappointing." He sighed aloud.

Ellora did not even deign to ask why. It was clear that she cared nothing for him. However, in time, he was sure that he would be tolerated well enough, after Nicola was dead and she came to realize that she had no out. The little dove was quite pretty, he could do much worse. He had never really taken the time to look at her very hard because he had been so dead set on revenge. But as she stood near the window, there was something about her that caught him off guard.

She looked back at him, "Pardon, me, I did not have breakfast prepared."

"You will join me for breakfast." He said abruptly.

Ellora looked startled.

Cyrus held out his arm, "Let's go."

She nodded, not willing to put up too much of a fight.

When they entered the dining hall, Ellora was certain that the idea had been spur of the moment. The servants scurried about setting the table properly and placing food. Cyrus waved them off.

Ellora took her seat at the far end of the table.

Cyrus looked irritated at the distance between them.

She nodded to him, satisfied with the twitch in is brow. If nothing else, she would be the thorn in his side for all of the time she was to remain here. However, she had to play her own cards very carefully. It was a fine line to walk between irritating Cyrus and angering him.

Ellora took a sip of her juice as a rather nervous girl served her some fruit. Usually she would try to comfort the girl, but it was better for her to be on edge around Cyrus. To comfort the servant would only cause her future pain. She could not forget the day when she and Cyrus had gone on a walk about the garden. She had told one of the gardeners that the roses were lovely to ease their distress. Ellora had pricked her finger on a thorn from one that the gardener handed her in return, and Cyrus had his hand cut off. She grimaced at the memory, trying to swallow the egg in her mouth. Yes, it was better not to be kind to any of the servants, just taciturn. Ellora sipped her morning coffee and placed the cup soundlessly back in the saucer. She had come a long way from that girl with the clattering cups and insecurities about forks. She glanced over Cyrus' shoulder. Alyn stood, quiet and cold as usual, with a straight face, uncaring.

"How are your meetings with your friend?" Cyrus asked, making dull conversation.

Ellora grimaced, she did not really want him asking about it, "Fine, but she stinks. She ought to get a bath before I see her today."

Cyrus nodded, there may be hope for this girl after all. That was one of the most unkind things he had ever heard come from her mouth, "Very well." He swallowed the ham he had been chewing, "We will be visiting the town again today, I have a business deal to carry out. You may do some shopping if you wish."

This was the most freedom Cyrus had ever given her, she nodded her approval, not wanting to say anything and give away her surprise. The best ways to deal with Cyrus were always to stay silent if possible.

Cyrus finished his food and rose from the table, "Very, well. I will see you at the carriage promptly at half past."

"Very well." She nodded. Ellora sighed after he left the room. She had played her part well, and now could relax a little more. Ellora looked at all of the food left over on the table. It would go to waste if it was not eaten soon, "Head servant!"

An elderly man in servant's attire approached her. She glanced around the room, Cyrus' guards were still about and were sure to report her every movement to him. The young guard that had been in her chambers seemed to be with her all the time. She did not know if he was assigned to her specifically, but she was always wary of having the same guards around her, "This food was less than desirable. Even the King did not finish it." She gestured to the table, "The meat was under-cooked, the fruit was not ripe, and the bread was stale. Take it and give it back to the servants to eat as their punishment, perhaps they will do better in the future."

The servant's eyes lit in realization.

Ellora cleared her throat quickly, giving him a look.

The servant nodded humbly, "So sorry, Queen Consort, we will surely take care of this oversight."

Ellora pretended to storm out of the room, hopefully this facade would be enough to keep away suspicion.

The Prince of Iliosजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें