Twenty-Eight

She strode down the hall.

Nicola knew it was useless to follow her when she was so angry. Ava and River looked back and forth between Ellora, Nicola and themselves. They rose, curtsied to him and scurried off after Ellora.

"Ellora!" River caught up with her first. She made her way to the courtyard to bask in the almost sunshine, hoping that the rays would appease some of this anger and calm her frayed nerves.

"Did you see the look on Minerva's face!"Ava gushed.

River giggled, "Yeah, it was priceless." She imitated the girl from Ilios.

"Ellora, what's wrong?"

"It was a little nice to see her humiliated, but the Prince led her right into it. It was cruel and calculating." Ellora did not want to admit that she almost felt bad for Minerva.

"It is better for her to stop thinking so highly of herself now." Ava protested.

"I believe she learned a valuable lesson. I doubt that any of us would want the kind of world that Minerva was speaking of." River nodded.

"You're not really upset about Minerva are you?" Ava prompted her.

Although they had only known each other for a short time, her friends always seemed to be able to know how to get her to open up. She sighed, sitting on a marble bench near the flowers. She touched the soft petals of a nearby daisy, "No, I am concerned that Nicola is past negotiation, and that I won't be able to speak for my people. I am worried that he will just coerce us into the Union."

"That does not sound like the Prince. I have always heard that he is kind and understanding." Ava said, her finger to her chin.

"Agreed. His first tactic has always been negotiation when asking provinces to join the Union." River sat down beside her, "Keep your cool and build your argument. I am sure that he will hear your concerns and offer you new ideas."

"Then, why did he coerce me into coming here?" Ellora plucked the flower.

"What?" Ava was astounded. River also wore an expression of surprise.

"Mr. Laquan came to the Island with an edict stating that I was to come and compete or risk a war with the Mainland, er, the Union." She stumbled over her words, tears forming on her lashes.

Ava rubbed her back to comfort her.

River took the flower from her hand, wiped her friend's eyes and placed the daisy gingerly in her blond hair, "You should speak with him of your concerns. If you do not, you will never get the answers that you seek."

"Yeah, I just never know when the right time is. He is temperamental. You saw what happened to Minerva. If I don't select the right time and keep my head cool, I could walk right into a verbal trap, and then what of my people?"

Ava stood, offering her hand, "Well, until you decide, we will be right here with you."

River stood, offering hers as well, "Right, we must head to our next lesson. Since we did not get through them all yesterday. Today we are Running the Palace."

"What does that even mean?" Ellora laughed. She took their hands, knowing that while she was here at least she had friends. She only hoped that they could stay friends after the Prince's wedding.

"Who knows." River shrugged.

"Silly girls, of course it means that we are learning about finances, the kitchens, the way things are run, the chain of commands and so forth. How to set up the house for guests and formalities and such." Ava's hands were on her hips. Her curls bobbing with energy.

"Sounds awful." Ellora shook her head and giggled.

River agreed, and they headed toward the Palace's main entrance.

The week and gone passably for all three of them. All of the girls had gotten the chance to spend some time with Prince Nicola. He had taken some of them for walks and continued to attend the various lessons that they participated in. Ellora always became more nervous when he was watching. He would smile, but it was like the smile never reached his eyes. Whenever he was playful it was short lived and then he immediately refound his serious mask. It was as though any little thing could set him off. She always felt she had to walk on the finest eggshells around the brooding Prince. The clouds remained in the sky. Each new day brought the same classes. Each one sounding very important, but only turning out to be a watered down version of what Ellora thought reality would be like. She grew tired and disappointed with all of it. Any hope of gleaning some sort of skills or new education was quickly washed away by Mrs. Brooks and her lessons. And, every other night there seemed to be some kind of lightning storm.

Ellora opened her eyes to the jolt of Ava shaking her awake. A distant, "You're going to be late!" Echoed in the middle of her dream. She had not slept well and the cloud covering the sky beckoned her back to a slumber. She squinted up at her room mates, groaning and flipping over. A slight headache played at the edges of her temples.

"River, I heard that the Prince is going to Flora soon! Aren't you excited?" Ava bubbled.

"Of course." She almost sounded hesitant, "We are opening a new hospital. He is just coming to the ceremony to present it."

"But he is taking you with him!" Ava almost jumped beside her.

Ellora rolled over, her head almost hanging off of the bed. She watched the two continue.

"Me and two others." River shrugged.

"Yes, yes." Ava waved her off, "I hope I get to be one of them!"

"I overheard Mrs. Brooks saying that it depended on how we preformed today." River placed a flower in her hair.

They both looked like proper princesses. Ellora groaned again, knowing that she did not look one ounce a princess. She could never compete with the two beauties. She sat herself up, determined to start her day. Her maids rushed at her, appearing as if from the air. They hurriedly dressed her and drew her corset tight. She gasped as her lungs seemed not to get enough air again. The boning jabbing her in the ribs. They threw the hoops and her petticoats over her head in a flurry of light blue.