TWO

"Impossible," scoffed Danny. "Seriously, you want me to believe I'm a wolf?"

"Part wolf," corrected Lauren patiently.

"A special being called Fae and there many different types? I'm one type?" asked Danny more of a statement to no one in particular than a question.

"mmmhmmm," mumbled Lauren still searching Danny's features.

Danny shook her head struggling to comprehend the possibility.

"I know," offered Lauren timidly placing her hand on Danny's arm reassuringly. To her surprise Danny didn't pull back. "I know this is a lot to take in all at once," continued the doctor gently offering support.

Danny knew it was all true, she could see in Lauren's eyes the honesty and naked truth she was sharing. They sat silent for what seemed like forever before Danny finally said, "So what now?" Lauren jumped, startled out of her own thoughts of how she was going to help Danny.

"Danny, I'm a Fae doctor. I know more about Fae life, customs, and how to live in this world than most despite being human. Let me help you," replied Lauren with sincerity in her eyes. Danny remained non-committal for the moment listening to the doctor.

"Can I ask you some questions?" asked Lauren.

Danny nodded and looked away still staggering from what she already knew.

"Do you remember anything after you black out? Because, when you black out this is when you change to your wolf form. You are likely running or feeding," said Lauren. "Any change in perspective, notice heightened senses, anything that would indicate you changed form?"

"Nothing." replied Danny. "I black out and I have no idea where I go or what I do, I can't see it."

"Have you ever woke up with blood all over you, but not yours?" continued Lauren.

Danny took a deep breath considering what that might mean. "Yes."

"Okay, that likely means you are feeding, which is perfectly normal for you. What can you tell me about what happened to you the other night?" asked Lauren tucking a stray hair behind her ear.

"It happens every three or four months, I black out and I end up in some kind of dungeon. I don't remember much about what happens while I'm there and then I wake up somewhere in a ditch or a forest," replied Danny unnerved just talking about it. "I have tried moving, they always find me."

Danny looked up to see Lauren staring at her with a gentleness and concern that no one had ever shown for her and she felt her cheeks blush a little, shy of the attention she wasn't used to.

"Do you have any idea where this place is?" asked Lauren.

"No, but I do remember one person calling the guy in charge Dr. Smithson." replied Danny. "He's a sadistic bastard."

"I'm sorry Danny, no one should endure what you have. I want to help you," offered Lauren.

"No one can help me. They are ghosts, come and go, they take what they want, and you can't stop what you can't see coming," replied Danny.

"Well" said Lauren, "I think the place to start is for you to stay here for awhile. Let me run some tests…."

"Whoa, stop right there doc, you are great and everything but I can't do anymore tests, I just can't."