THREE

Lauren busied herself for the next couple days looking at slides but found her thoughts drifting back to the beautiful stranger. Unable to properly focus she put the slides back in their tray and pulled out Danny's file. Lost in thought she poured over the information looking for anything that would explain the data they had compiled. Lauren was so mystified by this girl, "half wolf, and half what?" It had been a long time since something this intriguing had entered her lab and she wanted to know more. She logged on to her computer accessing the vault of ancient Fae documents. Stumbling across the Sherpa research again she began to more thoroughly examine the literature.

"Very few ever survive an attack with a Sherpa blade. Those who survive typically have been Decedents of the Blood King." Lauren dropped the pen she was holding staring at the words. Slowly leaning back into her chair she read the sentence again.

"Oh my god," she whispered to herself. "Is it possible? After all this time? Could she really be a Descendent?"

She skimmed through a few more pages stopping suddenly on a short paragraph. "Descendents will carry a symbol tattooed on their person somewhere that can only be seen under black light. They bare the likeness to the Blood King crest." Lauren's mind was racing, quickly reviewing every possible scenario. "Could Danny be part wolf and part Blood King?"

Lost in thought Lauren was startled when someone from behind called her. "Lauren?" repeated The Ash.

Lauren turned, "Oh, I am sorry sir." She hastily closed her laptop. "I didn't hear you come in."

"I heard you treated a badly injured unregistered Fae that was picked up off the street?"

"Um, yes sir, a wolf, Dyson found her. I was going to inform you. I have just been so crazy busy trying to keep her alive and of course all my other patients…" Lauren trailed off nervously.

"That's fine, I just wish you had found a moment so I didn't hear it from someone else," replied The Ash in his slippery condescending tone.

"My apologies sir, I should be more considerate. It won't happen," apologized the doctor lowering her brow. Gritting her teeth she forced down the bitter taste of self loathing. She hated living a life of servitude to this cruel and vile man.

"Is there anything else I should know?" questioned The Ash.

"No sir," replied Lauren still looking at the floor.

"You'll let me know if there is?" he asked turning to leave without waiting for a response.

"Yes sir," muttered the doctor trying to hide the guilt she felt for not being completely truthful.

She took a deep breath composing herself and rationalizing her little white lie. She didn't really have any confirmed information and for the time being, she felt like she needed to protect Danny. Now that the Ash knew about Danny it was just a matter of time before he went looking for her.

Lauren packed up her things and was going to head home when her phone rang.

It was Bo. "We're at Tricks come over for a drink."

"Ummm, I don't know, I'm pretty tired and was just going to go home," replied Lauren.

"Just one," encouraged Bo, "for me?"