FOUR

Danny studied herself in the mirror, thinking how things had changed over the last few months. She was still living a lie with Mike because she just couldn't bring herself to break his heart, but she had found out she was Fae, had some new friends and for the first time actually felt comfortable just hanging out. She was meeting Mike for lunch because he had something important he wanted to discuss with her and then she was meeting the girls later at a bar downtown for drinks.

"Hey beautiful," greeted Mike kissing Danny on the cheek.

"Hey," replied Danny smiling trying to reciprocate his enthusiasm.

When the waiter arrived Mike immediately ordered. "I'll have the chicken salad, and can you bring us a bottle of your best red please."

"And for you Miss," asked the waiter.

"Umm, I, I, ummm, think I need a few minutes," replied Danny narrowing her eyes. "What's with the wine?"

"Geez, you don't make it easy do you," replied Mike smiling. "Very well, I was thinking we have been together for quite some time now, I love you, and I was thinking…"

Danny's heart was now in her throat as she tried to swallow. "No this can't be, he should be breaking up with me, why is this man so freaking nice," wondered Danny, her mind reeling at the though of what he was about to say.

"I was thinking," continued Mike with a big grin on his face, as he got down on one knee, producing a ring, "we should get married." Danny just stared at him for what seemed like forever, her heart racing. She clasped her hands to keep them from shaking, her eyes fixed on the man.

"You don't have to answer right now," uttered Mike, barely a whisper. "I know this is a big step..." He trailed off unable to speak as he considered for the first time that Danny might not say "yes."

Danny was now looking at the floor biting her lip as she realized they had arrived at the crossroad she had been dreading. She hated herself. Why couldn't she just love this man that had laid his heart at her feet.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I can't." Her eyes searched his pleading with him to be okay.

"Ever?" he choked.

She slowly shook her head and hesitated for a moment. "I think I'm," she cleared her throat, "I think I'm falling in love with someone else," she breathed.

Mike threw his chair back angrily. "Might have been nice to know that before I bought the ring," he spat before turning and stomping out of the restaurant.

Danny closed her eyes as they filled with tears, "I'm sorry," she whispered to no one.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Hey girls," greeted Danny flashing her easy going grin, trying not to reveal the feelings that still lingered from her lunch date with Mike.

Bo replied, "Hey, about time you got here."

Danny smiled, "Kenzi driving you crazy?"

"Hey now, that is a little uncalled for," cracked Kenzi throwing back a shot.

Danny pushed Kenzi's shoulder teasingly and then turned her attention Lauren admiring the low cut tight orange tee she was wearing that accentuated her beautiful figure so perfectly. "How are you?"