Chapter 2

Carinas POV:

I was called relatively late in the evening: an emergency came in. An expectant mom who had her wrists slit and my intern didn't feel ready for it. Great I figured Maya wouldn't be long before her shift was over and I planned a date night for us. It's our anniversary and we kind of just argued most of the time. I know that Maya said when we got engaged that she doesn't know if she wants to have children later, but I've had the thought of becoming a mom for a long time. I just can't wait any longer. It just means we keep fighting.

I wanted to surprise her tonight, a nice meal, a few glasses of wine and romantic music, I didn't want to argue for one evening and just enjoy the time with my wife and now this. So I turned everything off, all the candles and the I took the pots off the stove, got dressed and drove to the hospital. Shortly after I arrived, the ambulance arrived. Out to the emergency room and there she was standing in front of me. This beautiful woman. My beautiful wife. We've known each other for about 4 years now and every time I look at her I get butterflies in my stomach. I'm lost as soon as I look into her beautiful blue eyes. I only have eyes for her, I don't get it at all that there are other doctors standing next to me. Snapping out of my thoughts, I tend to the mother-to-be, only to realize Maya is holding a little girl, probably my patient's daughter. The poor girl is covered in blood and looks so scared and so beautiful at the same time. But that's something I can't think about. I have to take care of mom now. She's still unconscious so I have to operate on her to get the baby. Together with my colleagues, I push the Mama into a treatment room. She's being made stable enough for us to operate on her. She's bleeding profusely, I hope she survives. I sterilize myself so I can get her baby, but the operation is more difficult than I thought and as if it couldn't be worse, the Mama dies on the operating table. Luckily the baby is healthy. The little girl Maya held is now a big sister to a healthy little girl. I walk out of the operating room and look for my wife and the girl.

Sofias POV:

I'm in my room sleeping when I hear a scream coming from my moms room. I jumped when I hear it not even realized why she screamed. When I came to my moms room she is lying in her bed and everywhere is blood. I was standing in the doorframe with no idea what do to. My mom screamed and cried in pain. I ran back to my room, grab my phone and dial 911.

„Hello 911 what can I do for you?"A woman said.

„I'm.. My mom... she's.. uhm" I began to cry.. „Hey.. shh.. I've got you. Breath and then tell me what happened."

I tried to breath and calm down. „My mom she's pregnant and there is blood everywhere. I don't know what to do." „Okay I send some help to your house. Should I stay on this phone with you?" I thought about it for a while not what to bother this woman to help other people. „No thanks I will be okay here." I said after a while.

Not even 5 minutes later I heard the ambulance. I ran down the hallway to the door. Two woman stand there. One of them was a blond firefighter the other one I think she is a Latina.

I showed them where my mom was lying and they immediately ran to her to help her. The next thing I know the blonde woman took my hand and brought me into the kitchen away from my mom. She told me her name and asked me what my name was but I couldn't get a word out. I was so in shock so I did what my mom showed me when I was about to have a panic attack. I should communicate through her hands. I wrote her my name and she smiled at me. She asked how old I am and then hugged me. I startled and took a step back, she sighed. 

Damn. I pissed her off, I couldn't speak, my words were lost in my chest but I had to force myself to say something, I didn't want to piss her off any more. I apologized to her but she just looked at me and apologized to me. I started to cry. I had no idea that adults apologize to children. Is that normal? She was called and then told me to get dressed and they would take me to the hospital. Before that she asked me if she should call my dad but I couldn't. Which dad is she referring to anyway? Mine or my mom's new boyfriend? I didn't want either, but what happens if I tell them that? All I want is my mom. Lost in thought, I went to my room, grabbed my backpack and my teddy bear, and put on shoes and a jacket. Maya picked me up and took me to the ambulance. Arriving at the hospital, she opened the door and there were so many people outside, men and women, young and old. I was so scared I wanted to go home, I tried to escape from Maya's arms but she held me tight. Instead of continuing, I hid my head in her neck, not wanting to see anyone.