DAY SEVEN

SUNDAY

[STEP SEVEN - KISS HER LIKE IT'S YOUR LAST CHANCE]

AMBER MIDTHUNDER | DAPHNE CULSTEETHE RETIRED ROMANTIC

THE RETIRED ROMANTIC.

PEOPLE SAY THAT embarrassing moments themselves aren't actually that shameful. It's what comes after. The reaction you may receive; from the looks, laughs, remarks. Then that one settling feeling that won't go away- the overthinking.

It can last weeks after, even when everyone has forgotten about it, it can even carry on for months, years.

I'll be real, depending the severity, my embarrassing situations have an expiration date of about a year, two tops.

Then I can really laugh about it.

But as Romeo set up the bake sale stand outside near the drive way of the mall, he realised that he would probably never get over the embarrassing situation that just happened with Sabrina yesterday.

"Cheer up, man." TJ nudges Romeo playfully. "You look like someone just died ."

"Well yeah, my mom?" Romeo sighs putting another cupcake on display on the stand.

"The date of passing exceeds two years." TJ stuffs his mouth with one of the cookies that was on the pan.

"Sorry, what?"

TJ holds his index finger up, as he waited to speak, chewing down the remaining food in his mouth. "You don't know the rules?"

"What rules?" Romeo stops setting up and gives his best friend a confused look.

"The family member death card only lasts two years." TJ explains casually, taking another cookie.

"The 'family member that slowly died' card has more points so you'll get a three month extension. So I guess you could always wait for your grandma Gina-"

Romeo stares at him, mortified.

"What? Look dude, rest in peace to momma Darcy, Riley made the best cookies." He examines the chocolate chip cookie in his hand. "If she were here, she'd never let you put this much flour."

That was Juliet's doing.

Romeo smiles to himself at the memory of him coming home to freshly baked cookies almost everyday after school- it's honestly a miracle how he's not diabetic.

"You know, I feel like this pact thing has gone too far." He confesses, looking around the busy neighbourhood.

"How?"