O N E

AUTHORS NOTE: ALL GRAMMAR MISTAKES IN EVELYN,S SPEECH ARE INTENDED

Burning hot sun blared across the rooftops, scorching those who walked the streets below and baking their skin to a golden brown. despite the immense heat, and tight leather suit, Evelyn could only feel a speck of the warmth: when she was a child, she was injeced with a fluid designed by one of General Dreykovs most trusted scientists, (who, like most of his loyal workers, remained anonymous to the Widows) the fluid was made to help the widows survice extreame temperatures, but it was specially altered to decease Evelyn's body temperature.

Being the only live mutant amoung the black widow programme had it's ups and downs, like being irreplaceable and being the most skilled, which meant extra privilages, and being the subject to a lot of DNA testing. Because of her mutation she tended to run a lot warmer than practically everyone, surviving at temperatures most would consider a deadly fever with no struggle. they used this skill of hers to make the fluid, and then adapted it to lower her boiling body temperature, making her less detectable on thermal imaging devices and due to almost overdosing her before it could work, keep her practically feeling cold no matter the weather.

she had grown used to it over the years, but as she lay in the current climate, she realised how much she has missed the warmth. She was drawn away from her euphoria when a distorted voice was heard through her earpiece, "target located," there was a grunt on the other end, "cover me, im going in."

"i have visual, heading south down eighteen LFOUR aproximately twelve seconds before escape route." she informed her partener for this mission. Widow 2, Yelena Belova. their number corisponded with their rank of clearnce in the Red Room. their position went first, then their level.

the levels were quit simple: Level 1 was the lowest, reserved mainly for prisionsers or newcomers like the new recruits, it typically went Captive 1 or recruit 1. then there was level 2, for fully controlled widows and subject researches limited to one field. then level 3 for parcially controlled widows, and so on up until level 20. the only people who could be level 20 were General Dreykov, and anyone with nuclear access (however, their clearance was usually temporary). Evelyn was level 5, a parcially controlled widow, test subject and trainer. her access was mainly restricted to information on other widows, and new plans for the pragramme.

there were a lot of strange noises down the earpiece, so she hesitated before questioning, "Belova, Status?"

she waited for an answer, but all she could hear were groans of pain, "Belova?" she asked, more assertive this time around, "status, now."

a few more groans were heard beore her partners voice, "get down here, i'm gonna need backup."

it sounded like her, but not quite. curiosity took over her like a sin as she scaled down the building slowly, careful of making herself seen. walking over to where she was instructed to watch, she readied her pistol streadily by her thigh, opening the door fast enough it was almost ripped off of it's hinges. but all that was in the room was silence. that was, until a glowing red tube released a bright cloud just as inhaled a breath allowing itself to be sucked into her lungs and into her blood stream...

nothing. she didn't fall to the floor, she didn't black out, she just stood there. no defualt reaction. she addressed the situation in her mind, whipping her body to face where the tube had come from, pointing her pistol as she did so, only for her eyes to meet her partner.

"Yelena?" she lowered her gun, looking the girl up and down quickly, "what is going on?"

she explained everyhing, how she couldn't tell her over the comms becuse they would have took her away before she could save her, how the woman who had freed her was an escaped widow from Melina's generation. everything.