Chapter 3 - The Third Night

It was a little over nine, Draco had just finished and sealed up his Transfiguration essay. He crossed his fingers and hoped that he would scrape an O.

Harrison's tap on the window brought him back to reality. Smiling to himself, he slid open the glass pane and the snowy little owl fluttered inside, this time hovering above Draco's head, nipping his hair softly.

Draco chuckled at the cute contact and brought Harrison down with a gentle hand. Harrison dutifully lifted his leg and Draco started untying the attached letter. He saved the silky red ribbon and tucked it underneath the alarm clock alongside the other six of them.

Harrison lingered this time, fluttering around the empty dormitory as if he knew Draco was going to write a reply. This night his dormmates decided to go skinny dipping before another school week started. Dorks.

Draco smiled at the bird and fed him an owl treat, letting him nibble away happily as he read his secret admirer's letter.

Dear Draco,

Hello, good evening. I hope I didn't distract you from whatever you are doing right now.

Just finished McGonagall's essay, I hope she'll let it pass, my friend isn't present to check it for me this time :(.

Saw you at the Great Hall today. You look nice.

Just wanted to check up on you, if it's not too creepy. Up for a late-night chat?

Love,
Your Secret Admirer

Dear Anonymous Gryffindork,

Good evening to you too. What a coincidence, I just finished my Transfiguration essay, too! So, no, you didn't interrupt me or anything. I'm hoping to get an O.

You're making me blush again, Gryffindork. You have got to stop doing that, my dormmates are bound to catch me sometime when they're not skinny dipping like a bunch of idiots. I wonder if the giant squid would get hold of one of their pricks, that would be mighty hilarious.

No, it's not creepy, it's sweet of you. Sure, I'm up for a chat. Question time: Favorite Subject?

Draco

Dear Draco,

Are you seeking revenge, calling me sweet? My dormmates are in the room. They are now asking me why I'm grinning and blushing like a bloody idiot. So, I'm in the common room now.

As for the giant squid? Hm, that does sound fun. And pretty damn funny. If it really did, please, please let me know.

Coming to think of it, I've never seen you blush (apart from those of cold weather). I bet you look really cute with your cheeks tinted pink :).

You hope to get an O? Makes sense though, you're practically top of your house.

Favorite Subject? Defense Against the Dark Arts. I think that doesn't give too much away. I know yours is Potions. Why do you like Potions so much?

Love,
Your Secret Admirer

Dear Anonymous Gryffindork,

Ha, I can almost picture you being caught by your dormmates. That is, if I knew who you were or who your dormmates are. I'm just imagining Potter with his dormmates. That's quite a funny image.

And stop making me blush! And yes, I promise I'll notify you if the squid did grab hold of my dormmates' pricks.

You're right, favorite subject doesn't give much away. That only rules out Longbottom.

Why do I like Potions? I don't know. I guess there's something to do with the subtle accuracy and beauty of brewing the potions. I feel at peace and calm studying them and making them. It helps me concentrate naturally.

Favorite Book?

Draco

Dear Draco,

I'll answer your question first- The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

I enjoy making you blush, I really do :). It's cute when you sound all pouty in your letters.

It's beautiful, how you describe Potions. I kind of feel the same way about Defense, too. Things just feel... natural, I guess.

I've got a question for you, actually... Do you hate Potter?

Love,
Your Secret Admirer

Dear Anonymous Gryffindork,

Salazar, are you going to murder me? You'd better keep your Gryffindor hot-headedness in your pants. No, I don't hate Potter. Even though we appear as 'school rivals' or that kind of petty crap, I truly don't hate Potter. He's just the only one I know that can make imagining the scenario funny.

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, the children's book? Why?

Draco

Dear Draco,

Ha, no. I'm not here to assassinate you. I'm just curious. It's really nice to hear that you don't hate him. You're right, he might really be funny in that blushing scenario.

Yes, the children's book. I'm sorry, but that's another question I can't answer. Let's just say, it brought some vastly important lessons to me when I needed them most. Children's books often withhold great wisdom.

What's your favorite book?

And just to make you blush again, you're especially cute when you concentrate in class :).

Love,
Your Secret Admirer

Dear Anonymous Gryffindork,

Seriously, stop making me blush.

Potter's alright. Really, he is.

My favorite book? Anything related to potions is okay, I think. Preferably potions ingredients. I like reading about them.

It's a little late, there's school tomorrow, so I think I'm going to head to bed. I hope you're not offended by this, I really enjoyed talking to you :). Talk to you tomorrow?

Try to get some sleep. If you have trouble, owl me.

Draco

Dear Draco,

I understand, it is getting a little late. I'll definitely be happy to talk to you tomorrow, I really enjoyed talking to you, too.

Thanks for the really sweet offer, but I've already disturbed you for three nights, so I'll give you some peace :).

Also, I can tell Harrison loves you. You must have had your fair share of training with owls dealing with Parkinson's. Your interactions with her owl are adorable.

Sweet dreams, Draco.

Love,
Your Secret Admirer

And a sweet dream was what Draco had.