chapter seven

Ink was everywhere.
On Pearl, on Marina, Cleo somehow even got paint on one of the drones recording the area. But she'd coated the turf. And it was thorough. Not a spot missing.
Cleo stood proudly, content with her work. She smiled at pearl and marina, and marina smiled back.
"Well, the roller works." Pearl said, wiping some metallic black ink off her shoulder. 'Holy mother of cod, how did she make this mess?' Pearl literally watched her and still didn't understand. She was a blur of ink and clothing, constantly spinning and running up and down between platforms. She didn't wait, didn't hesitate. She just inked an area and moved on.
Cleo began walking back towards them, wiping ink off her shirt with a bright smile. She seemed genuinely happy compared to yesterday, a sparkle in her eyes. She puts the roller on her back and they all returned to the clerk.
Pearl began negotiating a price with the clerk, and cleo patiently watched. The clerk today was a gothic looking young inkling, with a post apocalyptic look to her outfit. Her hair was dark and covered one eye, and the eye showing was bright blue. She seemed familiar, almost friendly, but cleo couldn't place why so she shrugged it off.
Eventually, the clerk set a stern 1550 G.
Pearl eventually realized that the clerk wouldn't budge, so with a nudge from marina, pearl forked over the cash. The clerk smiled and nodded, turning away as pearl and marina began leaving. Cleo began to follow as well, but felt a hand grab her arm. She let out a soft squeal, as the clerk held her back.
"Relax, i wanted to talk to you." She brushed the hair out of her face, giving a reassuring smile. "My name's Kendyll."
Cleo, nervously smiled, looking at Kendyll with confusion. "Why...?"
"I saw you testing the roller. Are you looking to enter the splat league?"
"I uhm... yeah... i am..." cleo was even more confused. 'Why is she being so nice to me?'
"Well, if you'd like, i can talk to my dad. He hosts several teams and I'm sure if i reccomend you, he'll let you play."