Chapter 19

☆☆☆

Gianna managed to get a ticket for a flight two days later. I was brimming with excitement that day. It hadn't been long since I'd last seen her, but it felt like eternity. It was already getting dark outside when Harry and I pulled up at JFK. I wished Gianna could have gotten a morning or afternoon flight instead.

Since my comment that Harry would kill me in order to protect the Famiglia, he'd been emotionally withdrawn, not that he'd been an open book even before that. The only way we interacted was at night when Harry pleasured me with his hands and mouth, and I him in turn. Maybe without Gianna's impending visit, I'd have tried to talk to him or even pleaded him to show me where he worked, instead I'd given him the space he obviously wanted. Harry parked the car and we got out. He didn't try to take my hand. I didn't think he was the type of man who held hands, but he touched my lower back as we entered the arrival area of the airport.

"Are you sure you'll be okay with Gianna living with us for the next few days?"

"Yes. And I promised your father to protect her. It's easier when she's living in our apartment."

"She will provoke you." I said.

"I can handle a little girl."

"She's not that little. She's barely younger than me."

"I can handle her."

"Harry," I said firmly. "Gianna knows how to push people's buttons. If you aren't absolutely sure that you can control yourself, I won't let her near you."

Harry's eyes blazed. He'd been on edge all day. "Don't worry. I won't kill her or you in the next few days."

I took a step back. Where did that come from? Was he angry because of what I'd said? It was the truth; we both knew it.

"Aria!"

I whirled around. Gianna rushed toward me, dropping her trolley on the way. We collided almost painfully, but I clutched her to myself tightly. "I'm so glad you're here." I whispered.

She nodded, then pulled back, searching my face. "No visible bruises." She said loudly, her gaze darting behind me toward Harry. "You only hit places that are covered by clothes?"

I gripped her hand and gave her a warning look.

"Get your luggage." Harry ordered. "I don't want to stand here all night."

Gianna glared at him but retrieved her trolley and returned to us. "A gentleman would have got it for me."

"A gentleman, yes." Harry said with a tight smile.

We walked back to our car, my arm linked with Gianna's. Harry walked a few steps ahead and got behind the steering wheel without a word.

"What's the matter with him? He's even more of an asshole than I remember."

"I think the Russians are giving him trouble."

"Aren't they always?" Gianna put her trolley into the trunk of the car before we both sat in the backseat.

Harry raised his eyebrows at me. "I'm not your driver. Get in the front with me."

I was taken aback by his harshness but I did as he said and sat shotgun. Gianna's face was scrunched up with anger. "You shouldn't talk to her like that."

"She's my wife. I can do and say to her what I want."

I frowned. Harry turned to me, meeting my gaze. I couldn't place the look in his eyes. He turned back to the street.