..Reconnections...

Your POV
...

I opened the door to the balcony for Sean. He walked outside, and I followed, shutting the door behind us.

I turned on my phone.

Multiple missed texts and calls from Lyla, just like earlier today — but way more now, probably because she saw that I was online earlier... for about a second.

I looked over at Sean's phone.

"Sean, I see that you're online. Please call me."

Followed by numerous messages after that.

"Are we going to..."

"I don't know!" Sean said, "I want to, but I don't know, maybe we should just.. leave her out of this before she gets in trouble."

"Do you think she'll get in trouble?"

"The police aren't idiots, (Y/N). They'll definitely track it."

"The police are fucking idiots! If it weren't for their idiocy, we wouldn't even be here! We would be at home..."

"I know..."

"I'm really worried about her. She's probably on the verge of going insane — you know how easily worried she gets. I just want to check on her and let her know that we're okay... but it's your call."

"Alright," Sean said, "We'll let her know we're okay, then toss these things, okay?"

I took a deep breath, "Okay."

Sean dialed Lyla's number, and it almost immediately picked up.

"Sean?"

And just hearing Lyla's voice again made me start tearing up.

"Lyla?" Sean and I said at once.

"(Y/N)? Sean? Is that you? Do you-- Sean- (Y/N)! Oh God... Are you okay?"

"I guess... we're in a motel... with Daniel."

"Shit! Everyone's looking for you guys here."

"Hey, forget about us right now," I said, holding back tears. "How about you? Are you okay?"

"No!" She yelled, "Everything's fucked up. I'm so worried about you guys."

Sean sat his phone down on the balcony and paced back and forth a bit, "This is a nightmare! We're fucked!"

"Sean, don't say that! It will be okay... I miss all of you so much... Maybe you could come back?"

"Lyla... I don't think we can."

"But-"

"Lyla, you know I wish I could, but... We can't take that risk! They're gonna put me in juvy! And (Y/N) and Daniel..."

"Bullshit! You're innocent. And I've got your back. No matter what."

"No way! I'm not gonna let you get in trouble for me. Not for us. There's nothing you can do." Sean pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Stop acting like I'm never gonna see you guys again! That's bullshit!"

"Lyla, everything about this is bullshit!" I said, "Nothing about it is cool, or nice, or fun, it fucking sucks! And as much as I wish I could change that... I can't."

"Wow... Shit actually changes, I guess."
There was a tiny silence from her side of the phone before she continued, "So? Where are you going?"

"Uhhh..." Sean's voice cracked, which only made me want to cry more, "We're just... going... away. For now."

"Yeah..." I added.

"We'll call you if we get a chance..." Sean looked at me, and I nodded. It was time to wrap it up.

"I miss you, Lyla," He said.

"Bye, Lyla," I said at the same time.

"No, wait—"

And Sean hung up.

Lyla immediately began calling my phone, but I knew I couldn't answer.

It was painful to do, but I blocked her number.

The lump in my throat was burning. I was holding back crying — since we had to go in and tell Daniel in a few moments. But holding it in hurt.

I swallowed it down.

Sean went to sit in a chair that was on the balcony and covered his face with his hands.

Their lives — our lives. Their dad is gone. Their home, our home...

After a minute, I turned to face him, who was slumped over in the chair. But when he saw me, he stood and walked in my direction.

Both of us wrapped our arms around each other — crying in each other's embrace. We stayed like this for a while, until I pulled away and looked him in his teary eyes. I took his face in my hand, and put my forehead to his.

Not a single word needed to be said here.

There really weren't any words I could think of to say.
....