Chapter 9

The week with my brother had finally come to an end. Reconnecting with him had been good for me. I needed it.

    But Thomas didn't exactly like that I was hanging around a bunch of guys. Especially when they had a little bit too much testosterone surrounding them.

    Each guy could be extremely deadly. I knew it. Even Thomas knew it. All he needed was one look and he knew.

    It took a little persuasion, but I got him to understand that they were friends. I even had a hard time accepting that.

    I was sitting on my bed, trying to catch up on my studies, when the door opened.

    Rex hasn't been staying in the dorm for a few days. I knew it had something to do with how he acted towards me. It shocked me. Probably him more.

    His touch was extremely gentle. Like he didn't want to scare me.

    But him being gentle scared the hell out of me. It made me feel things I shouldn't feel for him. And I don't think he realized that.

    Rex walked in and my stomach clenched at the sight of him.

    His eyes had dark bags under them. Like he hadn't been sleeping.

    His cheek had a purple bruise. And his bottom lip was split open. Looking at his hands; his knuckles were badly scabbed. Like he had gotten into a bad fight.

    Whatever happened during those few days he's been gone, it wasn't good.

    "Rex..."

    His tired eyes caught mine. The emotions swarming in them was enough to silence me.

    I took a deep breath in; looking back at my papers. I didn't want to push his buttons today. It wouldn't bring me joy. Not when I knew he was hurt.

    Now that I really think about it, I hadn't seen The Aces around at all lately. I had been too wrapped up in my studies, trying to get caught up, that I hadn't even noticed.

    "I'm taking a shower. You need to do anything before I get in?"

    At first I thought he was talking to someone else. He's never asked to use the bathroom before. The first day he got in here he acted like he owned the place.

    Not looking up from the papers on my bed I shook my head. The small action seemed to be enough for him because the sound of water soon filled the dorm.

    Not being able to focus on the work infront of me anymore, I put it away.

    Opening the drawer on my nightstand, I put the calculator back. But when the bottle of pills rolled to the front, I froze completely.

    I hadn't taken my pills in forever. They made me feel numb. Too numb. And I hated it.

    But it could be the reason the nightmares were back. It was one of the side effects of not taking them. Dr. Connor even told me herself.

    They weren't getting any worse. They stayed the same. For now I suppose.

    When the bathroom door opened I shut the drawer. Maybe with a little too much force. I just didn't want him to see them.

    "Slamming thing again, I see."

    The humor in his voice made me look up. A small smile rested on his pink lips, showing of his perfect dimples.

    "I didn't mean too. It was more forceful than I intended."

    He let out a low chuckle. His face lit up. His eyes sparkled. I couldn't believe I was about to say this...but he looked incredibly beautiful.