|8| call me by my name

Sara had known Nalini for years.

Even though they never really became friends until the last year of high school, they'd been in the same school since kindergarten. But you didn't need to be close to her to know Nalini Haruji had a thirst for recognition.

24/7, eyes needed to be on her. If she had something to say, she was going to say it and she would make sure you'd listen to her. She already stood out because of her looks, bronze skin and wavy hair wasn't common in the small town of Kinsung, so the eyes would linger anyway. Half Japanese, half Indian, looks of a runway model with a million doses of joy bottled up in her head.

She'd talk her ear off to anyone who'd listen.

And of course, she matured over time. By the time they graduated high school, her attention was geared fully towards her goal.

"What are you planning on doing after all this?" Sara Park motioned towards the graduation party around them. Tipsy Nalini shrugged, taking another sip of whatever alcohol was in the plastic cup. They were outside the small urban house where their drunk peers were dancing carelessly on the dance floor. Only the low bounce of the bass was heard from the backyard. Nalini played with the rim of her cup and leaned against the wall.

Not a half hour after Nalini had arrived at the party she had already gotten tipsy. Sara, being her only ride there and back, took it upon herself to stay sober. Which also meant babysitting Nalini.

"I wanted to be a writer," She muttered, kicking some small rocks on the ground of the backyard. "But the only thing close to such a career was an Intern Journalist at the local news agency. And they'll only take me if I get my associates degree..." She sighed and watched the liquid in her cup. "Why is adulting so hard..."

"Because you only do it once." Sara responded, looking at the sky. It was a nasty shade of dark blue. Despite being in the middle of nowhere, stars were hard to see because of all the pollution and chemicals the Great War had emitted. Since Kinsung- despite being super unknown- was a common location in the Great War, scientists say clear skies won't be seen here for another lifetime or so.

It's not like nobody has seen the stars before- if you drive an hour or two past the rolling hills, you'll see clear skies. Or right after a rainy day on a clear night, sometimes you'll spot a constellation. It just wasn't all that common.

"Hey, I'm sure you'll do great. Writing isn't easy, but you do it well. You were always a nerd." Sara teased with a chuckle.

"I know." Nalini said and slid her feet further away from the wall, causing her to sit on the ground. "I'll find a way. I'll be the best Journalist that stupid agency has ever seen."

Sara glanced in her direction. "You really wanna be the best, huh?"

"Who doesn't?" Nalini asked. "I'll be famous for my stories. Just you wait."

Sara smiled at her. "Fine. I believe you."
⤜⚘⤛

"What?" You asked, completely and utterly confused.

"Everyone is out on a Run. You need to leave before they come back." He came around the pole and helped you up, you were about to protest when he pulled you forward anyways. Much to your surprise, your legs didn't give out. They didn't even hurt.

"He just bandaged them, how are they..."

"Yunho healed them," Seonghwa answered but didn't give any sort of elaboration. That does not explain why you're able to walk after a week and a half of healing. But Seonghwa wasn't the least bit of phased by this sudden revelation, he pulled you along by your wrist and you hurriedly tried to keep up. You almost tripped while climbing the stairs, but Seonghwa was right there in case you fell. How could he see so well in the dark?