27

Attachments can cause death.

He remembered the day a butterfly approached him, so pure and fragile. Its tint of yellow has grasped the sun, the well-written pattern shadowing as his freckles. The creature flew away, a beautiful paper airplane contrasting his view. It gave him the urge to fly, the inspiration building up his heart. Though he had the insticts of a cat, his curiosity growing his claws as he starts to jump. He took the little insect, holding it tightly until he felt its lonely body  sitting on his hand. Its dry response sulking his temper, its wings flapping for the very last time.

It's dead.

As an adult, the feeling of guilt never formed into their brains. But as a todler, he had enough conscience to share his tears for a poor butterfly living to survive. The title of a criminal rose to his blood, his body running away from the silent garden. He held the corpse in his hands, the ball of crystals silently pouring under his bangs. Reaching the door of his hostile home, he opened it with the creak sound squeaking in his ears. He panted loudly, hearing only his breath with the quiet living room.

"Mom, dad!", Hoping for comfort, he searched his only family. His cry was unstoppable, searching every corner for his parents. Opening each door of the room he was exhausted, seeing no single soul showing.

"Where are you?", He lightly shouted, running back down the stairs with no energy. His child form was gone, the copycat of a zombie roaming inside their house. He walked like a hopeless creature, searching for love with the music of Agape chanting at the background.

His senses went back, getting closer to the kitchen. The noise of a human was heard, his pupils turning big with happiness. Running and stumbling, he wasn't concerned about anything at all. He only seeks for answers, the questions of his actions stuck on his mind. The door was opened, seeing the shadow moving jiggly on the sink. He approached with his hand full, most likely not wanting to crush the body of the butterfly.

"Mo-", due to his dismay, he stood there in horror, immediately hiding himself at the side to listen in silence. He cried silently, opening his fist as his tears reached through the wings of the insect.

"How could you do this?!"

"I don't love you anymore! Let's prepare the divorce papers"

"What? I'm not letting our child live without a mom"

He hissed, letting his anger pour on his hand as he crushed the body. He ran, opening the door without noticing the honking tears of the clouds. The rain kept falling, the mix of his salty tears and the fresh liquid of the sky kissing his cheeks. His mind had no destination, promising to go far away from his home that had the dignity of a dirty jail.

What a cruel world to live in, his small shoes sliding in the pool of water. His bottom reached the dirty street, his hands emotionally feeling the cold wet ground. He can't stand it, he's been cutting his throat for a long time. The power of his crying screams surrounded the neighborhood, a child affected by the long lost warmth of a family.

He surrendered. He didn't want to explore another torture of Earth's booby trap. He was not selfish of asking for another life, but sticking to his old routine would lead down the land, deeper than the ocean floor. The butterfly scattered like a circle, forming a place for the poor boy. He didn't like it. The way the insect's life was taken, the way each wings were ripped from its main, he never wanted his ending to be like that.

Although he was in darkness, he knew very well that in this story he was the butterfly.

The society, his environment, was the culprit of killing his future.

And yet, the calloused hand of his mother-like figure touched his frail body.

"Oh my! Tetsu-chan, are you okay?", She panicked, the shaking of her umbrella defining her reaction. She held the handle, putting it close to his hand.