Colette

Dean returns back to the bunker later that night with a heavier heart than he thought he would have. He could end everything right then and now, having the threat of him on the earth completely eradicated. Cas and Sam can live their ordinary lives and continue on like he was never there. On the other hand, he could stay and have the constant worry of one day killing the two people that he loves the most in this world. He knew deep down what the right answer would be but the selfish part of him, the one that wanted to try to keep his humanity, didn't want to leave just yet. There was something brewing between him and Cas and he never felt as alive as he had at this moment. The Mark of Cain had a way of taking away every single emotion and replacing it with ones you would never think of having. It takes and takes until there is something even recognizable about you. You yearn to kill and you do it because it makes you feel like yourself again. He was practically dead when he swore off hunting monsters until Cas came back into his life and changed everything. He knew something was different when Cas would walk into the room and his world would stop like time stood still and took his breath with it. His angry feelings would just dissipate into thin air and the Mark would fade to a slight buzz in the background of his head.  Nobody he had ever associated himself with could ever come anywhere close to making him feel almost whole like him. That sort of thing should give him hope. Should make him feel that, perhaps, he can make it a little bit longer in this godforsaken universe. Yet why does a sense of dread form in the pit of his stomach, bubbling up so high he may just burst all over the floor? Even that he never seems to have the answers to.

        He turned the corner, walking to his room to try and recollect his thoughts. It may not be much of a thing to do, but at this point, it was really the only thing he could do.

"Dean? Is that you?" A timid voice sounded behind him and he shifts his body so he is facing the opposite side. A breath escapes Cas's mouth and he runs to tackle him with an unexpected hug that nearly tobbles him to the floor. Arms swallow him from either side and he was preatically squeezing the life out of him, nuzzling his face into his neck. Not even 3 seconds went by, though, before he was throwing him clear across the room until his back hit the concrete wall. He walks over and picks up Dean by the collar of his shirt, backing him up against the now dented wall.

"Where in the hell have you been Dean Winchester? Do you realize how long you have been out? You leave the bunker with not as much as a note or an explanation why you decided to haul ass from here. Sam, at this very moment, is driving around the whole entire state looking for your stupid, stubborn ass. Now tell me, what was so important that you didn't want to wait until morning for us to go with you?"

"I'm sorry about this misunderstanding, okay? I wanted to get some fresh air after what went on...earlier, so I went into the woods neighboring the bunker. I know I should've told someone but my head wasn't in the right mind and sometimes being cooped up in the bunker doesn't do me any good."

Cas chuckles a bit, shaking his head while putting his hands on his hips. He straightened his expressions in no less than a second and stared at Dean. 

"Bullshit. I know you Dean, and you aren't the type to take a quiet stroll to clear your head, as you say. How far gone are you? Because it so happens to appear like you have been holding back on us by the state of the Mark."

"Cas..I.."

"How long do you got Dean? I'm assuming that's what you did, right? Met with Crowley or Metatron or some other so-called expert on the Mark of Cain, telling you how much time you have before you completely snap." His voice cracked a bit and he could tell that he was trying hard to keep it together in front of him. To not entirely fall apart like the fragile angel Dean appears to see him as.