Chapter Two - The Survivors

"We're going downtown. It's our best chance of survival. If it is what Keith says to be, then it would have basically everything we'd need to survive - food, supplies, shelter, and probably more." you explained. "And I doubt it would be a Mickey Mouse operation; surely, they're going to raise their defenses and the quarantines would be thorough."

"Well I'm not arguing," Krista sighs. "There's really not much I can do about it, is there?"

"I'm just glad that it's settled." Keith says with a smile.

Guided by Keith, you made your way downtown, taking the turns when he instructed you to. Many times you would come across a street barricaded with cars, furniture, even dead bodies - which forced you to turn around and take another route. You figured this would be the perfect time to learn more about your new group, and so you started asking casual questions, like 'Where do you live?', 'Where are your families?', 'How's life been going?'.

You learned that Keith was a brother to two people, with Krista being one of them. They told you all about how they just woke up one night and had to leave so suddenly. How the people ran just about everywhere, screaming in sheer horror as the blighters chased them. They told you how Klein, the youngest of them three, was "taken away", as Krista says. You thought you saw her tear up through the rear-view mirror, but before you could actually see it happen, she quickly dumped her face in her hands. She then lifted it back up minutes later displaying sore eyes. You half regretted that you even asked her.

"But you know, we did learn something from him when he turned." Keith says at one point. "It's that when you turn, there's no going back. They're good as dead, even if they look alive and moving. It sucks, you know, when those brainless bastards were someone you used to know. But you've just got to accept that this is not the person you once knew anymore. They're totally different, and would never be accepted as humans ever again."

"But that didn't make it any easier to shoot him. Or it." Krista remarks in a sad tone.

Keith responds with a depressing silence.

You noticed that Samantha hasn't been talking much. She always seemed distant; always looking out the window. It seems like something troubled her, but you weren't sure whether or not you should ask her about it.

"And what about Samantha?" you inquired the others instead.

"Oh, she's a family friend. My friend, actually." Krista explains. "It's just that she's really close with my family and all."

"Is she usually this quiet?"

"Nope, not at all! This girl is a chatter box!" Krista manages a smile. Samantha stares at her blankly. "Maybe she's just hungry, or something. We haven't eaten anything in days."

"Correction, I'm starving." Samantha emphasizes.

"Well fear no longer, dudes. We're almost there. Just take the last turn to the right, uh..." Keith scratches his head. "What's your name again?"

"It's Jordan." you respond.