Childhood- Chapter 3

I was able to start leaving the orphanage and explore the Village at the age of three. While I hated that these people would allow a child, a toddler, to leave unsupervised, I was grateful to be able to escape. I quickly realised that everyone, even those outside the orphanage, knew who I was and resented me. Which hurt. Those eyes they all glared at me with nearly sent me into panic's, so similar to the look in Indra's eyes as he aimed blow after deadly blow. Exploring the forest at the edge of the Village, I took solace in my one retreat. Due to the orphanage only feeding me the bare minimum to keep me alive, I had taken to fishing and foraging in the forest for food. I was pretty sure that Jiji didn't know what they were doing, but I didn't tell him, if only because I didn't want to live on my own. After Dad explained what a Jinchuriki was, I quickly realised that the clans couldn't take me in as it would imply favouritism. And I didn't want my already small human interaction to be cut even shorter. I might actually go insane.

Looking over my shoulder, I see a fox creeping behind me. Turning around, I beckon it closer. A quick glance at the fire tells me I still have enough to share with the soon-to-be mother. Smiling gently as the skittish creature crept forward, I moved to grab small chunks of fish to give to her. Using my softest voice, I say, "Here you go, little one." Placing the meat on the ground a little bit away from me, I watched as she scurried forward and grabbed the meat before running off again. Smiling, I lay back, feeling the Nature energy around me. While my reserves were way too small to use Sage mode, I was still able to appreciate the calm feeling of nature. I was extremely grateful to have kept my connection to nature in this new life. As the only way in which I received any positive attention. Putting my thoughts aside, I allow myself to drift to sleep.

___________________________________________________________________________

"Wake up, Kit."

The sound of Kurama's voice woke me up from my slumber. Blinking the sleep from my eyes, I realise that it was nearly dark. "Crap, I need to go!" Jumping to my feet, I started racing back to the Village. If it gets dark, then I'll be locked out. Since it was starting to get really cold at night, it was a legitimate concern. Navigating the dark alleys and side streets, I finally make it back to the orphanage. To my shock, Jiji was standing outside. Since it wasn't time for his monthly visit, I begin to worry. "JIJI! What are you doing here? Are you ok? Is something wrong?" With a grandfatherly smile and a slight chuckle at my exuberance, he replies, "No, no. Nothings wrong. It's just that it came to my attention that you would prefer to live on your own now?" The hint of tension underlying his voice lets me know that he didn't believe or agree with the decision made. Then it hits me. Live on my own. No one to acknowledge my existence aside from nature and Jiji. Was this really what my life was meant to be? Why was I reborn if there was nobody who would even care that I existed at all? "Hey, Kit. I take offence to that! And it might not be that bad. You won't have to worry about being locked out!" Shook out of those depressing thoughts, I smile. "Thanks, Kurama. Maybe you are right." Looking back at Jiji, I smile brightly. "Yeah, that might be cool! I'm barely at the orphanage anyway!" Because no one wants me there. After a slightly strained expression, he gives me a gentle smile, beckoning me to follow him. When he leads me a decent distance from the Village, I begin to get confused. "Where are you taking me, Jiji?" He chuckles slightly at my question before answering. "I'm taking you to the Uzumaki Clan compound." I knew from Dad that the Uzumaki were my Mum's Clan, but I didn't realise they had their own compound. "Really! I actually have a Clan? Were they awesome! Were they!" While excessive, I really was curious about my Clan. The only thing Dad told me was that Uzumaki's generally had strong life forces, abnormally large chakra reserves and an aptitude for Fuuinjutsu. He said I could learn more as I grew up. "Well, the Uzumaki Clan were one of the strongest clans in the Five Great Nations; they were capable of manning an entire Hidden Village with only clan members. As the Uzukage was also the Daimyo, it made their leader royalty." That was extremely interesting. "Although they were more commonly known for their abnormally large chakra reserves, Fuuinjutsu and their tenacious life force. We already know that you inherited their large reserves and life force." That, I already knew. Then, with a frown, I realise something. I looked back at Jiji. "Hey, Jiji. If my Clan is that powerful, how come they don't come and take care of me? Do they not want me?" It was a genuine concern. Why else would I be living in a different Village? The sad look on his face made me regret asking. "Well, Naruto, Uzushio was destroyed during the Second Great Shinobi War, scattering the surviving Clan members."

"... Oh." Well... What did I expect? This life doesn't get happiness. The only good thing about this life is Kurama. And Jiji. But... Was I really that bad in my previous life? Is this my punishment for a crime I committed? Wait. If there are members of my Clan still wondering... I can find them and bring them back here! "Hey, Jiji! Does that mean I can find and bring the Uzumaki back to Konoha! Can I? Can I?" I could finally have family in this life. I can't keep finding peace in my memories; I need something to ground me in this life. With a jolly laugh, he responds, "Of course you can, my boy. The Uzumaki were close allies with Konoha, and all members of the Clan have a standing invitation. Well, here we are." Looking around, all I could see was forest and rocks. "Where is it, Jiji?" Walking to a notably smooth boulder, he beckons me closer. As I join him, he explains, "Well, as Fuuinjutsu masters, they wanted to ensure that clan secrets were kept safely hidden. So they built wards to keep others away. Come here. See this, put some blood on the rock." Close as I was now, I was capable of seeing the ink on the rock. Biting my finger, I smear my blood onto the symbol. Once done, the blood began to smoke before disappearing. When nothing happened, I looked at Jiji questioningly. "Turn around." Doing so, I see gates with a red swirl emblazoned on them. A grin slowly spread across my face. Chuckling at my expression, the old man opened the gate. "Come now, Naruto. Let's explore, hmmm?" Racing into the compound, the first thing I realise is the abundance of Nature energy. It was incredibly dense. Just living here long-term would make Senjutsu easier. Getting excited, I race forward towards the main building. Hearing Jiji laughing from behind me, I turn and stick my tongue out. "Well, if you're that excited, why don't I tell you about your new home?" Making his way closer, he describes, "The main building has four master bedrooms and two bathrooms. As well as a library containing most of the records salvaged from the Uzushio ruins and three training grounds; two inside and one outside." Well... Maybe living on my own won't be too bad. I can start training earlier than expected. Don't get me wrong. I hated killing with a passion, but to right the wrongs of the past, I will have to play by the rules. With the foundations of a plan forming in my mind, I fought the urge to go straight to the library.

Hi. I just wanted to let people know that I'm trying to update 2 chapters every Sunday. I should also mention that these first few chapters are going to be a tiny bit rushed, as I'm trying to hurry up and get to where they meet up.