Chapter 6

In the two years since that night, I had trained relentlessly. I had used the Academy as an excuse. I told Mother and Father that I wanted to have a headstart on the other students. So, I trained. And trained. And trained some more. Sometimes with Itachi, sometimes on my own. It wasn't like there was much else to do. I was forbidden from leaving the Compound's safety, and there weren't other kids my age. And so, I improved rapidly, mastering shuriken and kunai combat and improving my chakra control and reserves. They were pitiful, compared to the size of my original reserves. I was still downplaying my real skill in front of Father at Itachi's request. He wanted me to be able to enjoy being a kid. And while I wasn't actually a kid at all, I still agreed with him. This was a new life, and I didn't want to waste it just redoing my past life. I had been the genius brother before, and I never wanted that title again, not after how it ended. 

As my skills increased, so did the tension between the Clan and the Village. I had hoped that the situation would have fixed itself, but that was useless now. Before, the sight of outsiders visiting the Compound wasn't all that strange. Now, only other Uchiha could be found walking the streets. Shaking my head, I concentrate as I walk back home from training. "Little Sasuke, how about you come say hello to an old woman." Turning my head, I smile at Auntie Uruchi. "Hello, Auntie. How has the store been lately?" I ask as I walk over to her store in greeting. The old lady was one of the friendlier Clan members and a personal favourite relative of mine. She was one of the few that told me I could be as good as my Brother. While I didn't really care about that, it was still nice that she took it upon herself to try and cheer me up. "Ahh, you know, the stores doing as good as ever. Unfortunately, that useless husband of mine is currently in the back. I mean, really? How does one mix up white sugar and brown sugar? They're different colours!" Laughing at her distress, I take a moment to appreciate her presence. I could now finally understand what Asura was talking about when he would lecture me about the power of bonds. Pushing thoughts of my dead Brother aside, I decide to buy a pastry. "Auntie, could I have one of those icing covered rolls, please?" I request as I pull money out of my pocket. "Of course, dear. And put away that money. Think of it as a gift." Smiling gratefully, I take the treat when she hands it to me. Looking at the clock, I realise that I'm going to be home late. "I have to go! I'm going to be late!" Hearing her laughing at me as I take off running, I smile, glad that I could make her happy.

By the time I got home, I was panting. Thank god I wasn't too late, or Mother would have killed me. Sliding the door open, I begin walking to my room. Hearing murmured voices, I pause near a closed door. "Running out of... acting strange... turned on us... for the village." The other voice was too quiet to understand, but I had enough to guess what they talked about. Leaving my hiding spot, I continue to my room to wait for Itachi to get home from his mission. After that night two years ago, Itachi had become a little more vocal about what was going on but still insisted that I stay out of it. I listened if only to lessen the burden already so heavy on his shoulders. It was those times that it really hit me that I was the reason that my Brother had to become a killer. If not for me, people would follow Asura's teachings of peace, not this cycle of hatred. I honestly did hate myself sometimes. As I waited, I thought about the Academy next year. I would finally be able to leave to Compound. Who knew? I might even make a friend. I really just hoped that the place taught relevant information about being a shinobi. It would suck being stuck learning useless information. I eventually began reading scrolls focused on modern jutsu theory.

Later that night, I was still reading when I heard my door open. Looking up, I saw Itachi's expressionless face and patted the bed next to me. Like that night, he climbed into bed next to me and held me tight. I could feel him shaking and hear the occasional hitch in his breathing. We lay there, comforting each other as he finally let loose from his mission.

Sometime later- hours or minutes, I didn't know- Itachi had finally calmed down enough to talk. "I don't know how long I can keep doing this, Sasuke. Something has to be done about this situation. The longer it festers, the more people that will get caught in the cross-fire." I knew he was right. I thought back to the conversation I overheard. "Aniki. I think that the Clan are on to you. I heard them talking earlier. I didn't hear your name... But... I think they know you side with the Village. Or they suspect someone else." He closed his eyes, a sigh escaping his lips. "There isn't much that they can do to me, even if they know. Killing me will alert the Village that something is wrong. The most they can do is exclude me from their planning." I hated this. Father had been right when he told me my eyes were cursed. And it would seem that my descendants had inherited that curse. While their reason for starting this is justifiable, they can't understand that doing this will only cause more pain and prove the rumours true. I had to stop this from happening. It was already a mess. If the Clan succeeded in the coup, it would most likely destabilise Konoha, starting another war. That had to be prevented at all costs. There could be no more war. Not if he could do something to prevent it.

Not really happy with this chapter. it might get rewritten.