In the Smallest of Gestures

A/N: Some Valentine's Day outtakes. Cover art by abrilas. 

Scene 1 takes place between chapters 13 and 14.
Scene 2 takes place just after James is born in chapter 43.
Scene 3 takes place between chapters 47 and 48.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Gods this was always the weirdest fucking day.

The café hadn't even stocked the pastry case with proper items (not a blueberry scone in sight) but instead offered a smattering of pink or red-iced monstrosities, hoping to appeal to the more insipid tendencies of the type of simpletons that put any sort of stock in February 14th being some kind of auspicious occasion.

Draco ordered his standard black coffee and then waited for Granger at their table. He wondered what she thought of this supposed "holiday." Maybe he could draw her into a heated argument; suggest that women used this day to trap their beaus into extravagant and insincere displays of affection purely to satisfy the societal expectations that surrounded this made-up holiday.

Fuck, she was gorgeous when she got worked up. All flushed cheeks and flashing eyes and that pretty little mouth moving a mile a minute...

I am in control of this.

Draco pulled out a scouting report, hoping the banal black and white statistics and numbers would dull his senses before she showed this morning.

His thoughts wandered instead to the ballet next weekend. Did she still want to attend with him? How would Granger look all dressed up for him?

No, not for him. Not specifically, anyway. She'd just want to look nice, probably.

The scouting reports weren't doing their job. He cast his eyes around the café. There was a couple at the next table over holding hands.

She'd gripped his hand. When she'd thanked him for helping her through her panic attack.

He'd gripped her legs. He'd been helping her ground herself at the time, sure, but the fact remained.

"Good morning," her voice broke through his ruminations on the feel of her thighs beneath his hands.

"Granger."

She'd gotten a few nights' good sleep it seemed, since her recent breakdown. Brighter eyes, rosier cheeks, neater hair.

He wondered how she'd coped on her own.

She took off her coat to reveal her sartorial choice of a red sweater today. Red was a loud color. Granger generally stayed within neutrals and pastels for work. She didn't need to draw attention to herself with glaring colors like red, no, Granger's personality was bold enough on its own for the world to notice her. That, and her hair.

As she received her tea at the counter, Draco saw the owner hand her a paper bag. He wondered which of those overly-decorated, unnecessary treats she'd bought for herself.

"Feeling festive today, are we?" he gestured a hand at her top as she returned.

She looked down and shrugged. "It's Valentine's Day."

Her declaration conjured a thought of some nameless prick with a smug face escorting Granger to a candlelit dinner and it sent a shock of unwarranted envy through his body. Would that be her preferred way to spend this particular evening? Did she already have some gentleman suitor lined up for tonight?

"And are you... celebrating?"

"Of course not!"

Good.