Chapter 13: In Retrospect, This was a Questionable Decision

This chapter was edited on 2/3/2016 and includes minor alterations and an event change. Enjoy!

**************************************************************

I had called Eliot and agreed to go to the party for Chris. Why? I was still working out my thought process for the decision. The more I thought about it, the less I knew about why I agreed. I just knew it would end badly, and quite possibly be one of the worst decisions I'd ever made.

Lizzie and I stayed near the door, not knowing any of the people, and thankfully she didn't argue too much when I said I wanted her to stay nearby. Chris hadn't made an entrance yet, so everyone was waiting for him to arrive and were busy wandering through Eliot's apartment, talking to each other and providing the usual party-esque white noise. Several times I'd tried to grab a beer to try and calm myself down, but each time Lizzie took it away, saying that I had to drive later, which made me even more on edge. Especially when Eliot decided to take the time to walk over.

"So, Arden, I don't really know much about you," he said with a small smile. I nodded back briefly, chuckling nervously.

"Uh, yeah, I'd guess not."

"So what do you do for a living?"

"Oh, um." I hesitated, glancing around. "I'm sort of between jobs at the moment."

Eliot frowned slightly. "Any degrees or anything?"

"I have a Bachelors in Microbiology."

"Oh, a scientist." Eliot's smile came back, and I found myself smiling in return. Which I immediately mentally yelled at myself for. I wasn't supposed to enjoy talking to this guy. He's a dick. I shouldn't have even been there. I should've stayed home and just dealt with Lizzie's complaining.

"I'm in college now to get my Bachelors in Psychology. I already have one in. That field where you work with people, uh. Sorry, my memory is terrible once I've had a couple drinks." Eliot said with a laugh.

"Human Services?"

"Yeah, that's the one! I'm trying to be a social worker, or something like that. Haven't officially decided yet."

I nodded back, glancing down to my feet. "So, uh, do you want something to drink? I have non-alcoholic stuff, if you want," he asked. I looked back up to him, nodding slightly.

"Yeah, that'd be great, thanks." I replied. River headed off, and I looked back to Lizzie to make sure she was following before I went with him.

"There's soda, water. non-alcoholic alcoholic beverages. " Eliot listed as we entered the kitchen, and I snorted quietly from behind him.

"Uh, soda's fine. Coke, if you have it."

"Coming right up," he mumbled, going into the fridge. Lizzie stood behind me silently, elbowing me in the back. I looked to her with a small frown as she smiled back

"I'm gonna go converse with people in my own age group," she said.

"What! No, you—" I began quietly, but was cut off by Eliot's voice, making me wonder how good his hearing was.

"Oh, it's fine. Everyone here is pretty cool, you don't have to worry about her," he said, looking over to us as he got down a cup from the cabinets overhead.

"Thanks Eliot. See you later, Arden. Have fun," she said, giving a little wave to me before she gestured in Eliot's direction, then turned to leave the kitchen.