Chapter 09: Dates Are Much Nicer than Text Arguments

This chapter was edited on 2/1/2016 and includes minor alterations. Enjoy!

********************************

I ended up giving Chris my number the last time I was there, after he got onto me for showing up unannounced again, telling him to call me when Eliot was finally out of town. And I will tell you, that was one long fucking week. After not seeing the guy for a whole month, and then being able to spend only an hour or two with him before having to leave again for an undetermined length of time? It sucked. When I finally got the call, I was in the middle of a texted argument with Linsey.

"Hello?" I answered shortly, sighing and not bothering to check the caller ID or anything. There was a snort on the other end of the line though, letting me know exactly who it was just from that one little sound.

"Well if you don't want sex." Chris replied, and I smiled slightly despite how frustrated I was.

"You do still owe me. As I recall, you also owe me a date." I mentioned, and listened to Chris's quiet groan.

"I don't owe you a date. I said we'll see."

Laughing, I leaned back on the couch. "Basically the same thing."

"Hardly."

My phone vibrated before I could respond, and I pulled it away to see Linsey had texted back, but didn't bother answering it. I has more important matters to deal with, I figured. "C'mon, Chris. Go out with me. Doesn't even have to be a date. We can go out, get drunk, and have sex."

He was silent except for a sigh, and after a minute he spoke quietly. "Fine. When?"

"Eliot gone?"

"Obviously. He got on his flight last night."

"Tonight then. Around seven."

"Where?"

"Surprise. I'll pick you up."

There was an agitated sound from Chris, and I assumed that meant he didn't care much for surprises. He didn't argue though, and just took a second before he responded. "Alright. I'll see you later, I suppose."

I couldn't reply as he hung up after that, and I sighed as I saw a notification for Linsey's text still lighting up the screen. I debated on opening it, asking myself if I really wanted to continue a stupid argument when I had something to look forward to later. In the end, I dropped my phone on the couch, standing and heading for the bathroom for a shower. After all, I had a 'date' later.

***

"You're late."

"Only by ten minutes." I replied to Chris, who was standing at his door with an eyebrow raised. He rolled his eyes, coming out and locking the door behind him. I noticed that there was a faint bruise on his neck, but that seemed to be the worse of any injuries. As far as I could tell, at least, he was wearing a jacket.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Obviously."

Smiling, I followed him back down to my car, getting in and starting the ignition as he frowned from the passenger's seat. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise." I repeated. He glared over to me slightly, and yeah he must definitely not like surprises then, and leaned back, getting comfortable where he was sitting.

The drive was silent for the most part, and Chris seemed content to stare out the window for most of it. He looked over to me once, and when I looked back he turned away, back to the window. I smiled to the back of his head, going back to watching the road. When we stopped at a red light, Chris turned back to me.