10: Promises

Y/N POV
The last few hours have been incredible. The last few hours I won't forget. We're now almost at the long concrete tunnel that lies up under the white house.

"This corridor to the right and then we are there." Said Tom when we turn right. I see a long dark tunnel. At the end, light comes from the roof. There is a ladder up to the roof where you can get out. It's a relief to see it. I sigh.

"Okay, let's go." I said. I start walking but notice that Tom stops. I turn and look at him. "Why don't you come?" I asked. Tom looks down. This can't be true. "Tom?"

"I'm sorry y/n, I-"

"No." I said interrupting him. "No, no, no, no." I feel my eyes watery when I realize he isn't coming with me.

"I have to get JJ to safety. I have to do it-"

"You promised me Tom!" I said walking towards him. "You promised me that we were getting out of here together!" I shed a tear.

"Sorry it has to be this way." He said. For the first time I see a tear fall down his cheeks.

"It's a suicide mission!" I cried. "No." I shook my head. Worst of all, I couldn't blame him either. He had to do it, and I knew that. Tom pulls me into a hug. My arms wrap around his back and his arms around my neck. I put my head in his chest and cried. "I can't lose you either."

"It's gonna be okay." he said through his tears.

"Before you know it I'll be back with JJ. Then we can renovate the White House and do fun things. We're going to the beach again. We can go surfing, I still need a lesson." I chuckle, he chuckles too. "When you're outside, everything is arranged. They clear the way for you. Your father is waiting for you outside. Everything will be fine."

He gives me a kiss on the head. I hold him for about a minute. Enjoy the silence for a while. It will be so chaotic outside. But not just yet. I pull of the hug.

"Promise me you'll be back soon." I said looking in his eyes. He is silent for a few seconds.

"I promise I'll see you again." he nods.

I look in his gorgeous eyes. For a moment I wondered. Shall I do it? I want to do it. But I'm not sure if he's okay with it. I'm scared it will ruin our friendship, can I call it a 'friendship'. I think so...

"Uhm, okay." I wipe away some tears. But it doesn't really help. Tears keep rolling down my face. We gave really other a small smile an then  turn around. I cannot describe how much pain I felt. There's a lot going on around me. The idea that he can't be alive in a hour,  kills me inside. He says everything will be fine, but I know full well that that's not true. A few steps pass and I stop.

Am I going to regret it? No. Is my father going to kill me? Yes. Do I fucking care? Not at all.

I turn around, walk quickly over to him, grab his cheeks and kiss him. He kisses me right back. My eyes closed. Butterflies flutter in my stomach. This happens. Omg, I did it. And I don't regret it at all. It feels amazing. I pull away to breathe. I chuckle, just like Tom. I look at him and see a big smile. Give him a hug.

"Bye." He said.

"Bye." I said back.

He pulls of the hug an I turn around and walk away.

Finally, I made it up the ladder of the well. It's a relief to see the daylight and smell the fresh air. I walk through some bushes and then come to the front of the White House. My eyes widened.

I see so many people. It all goes slow for a moment. A row security guards. A line of people from the army. Countless injured people. Countless paparazzi. In the meantime I keep walking. I see more and more people looking up. The reporters start yelling and talking to the cameras. It's so inhumane. People ar injured, and what are they worried about? Me, the president's daughter. I don't feel comfortable with that. Then my eye falls on someone. He turns around. It's Dad.

"Dad?" I said in a weak voice. I am so relieved to see him. I start running. It takes me forever to get to him. He opens his arms and I give him a hug. I was so happy to see him again. Finally i got back into my father's arms. Finally.