Chapter Nineteen

When I arrived at the mansion's front door, I used Venetto's ring to bring him to me. Venetto appeared like a glittering gargoyle on the front porch. My heart began beating as I approached him, compounding the nervousness I already felt at having to face the guys with my news. 

He stared at me with suspicion, "Thou summoned me. Didst thou changeth thy mind and would maketh me a slave?"

I didn't comprehend what he meant for a moment. Then I shook my head. "No, I... "

I had just wanted some comfort. I wanted everyone with me. I wanted Luis to tell me it would be fine. I clutched the railing.

He stepped off the porch and approached me, which got the nervousness flowing more strongly. His heavy brows dipped into a low vee. "What makes thee so pale and shivering? This land doth not bear the chill of the Betwixt. Art thou frightened?"

"No... just..." I didn't want to admit to Straif's news.

"Thou art quailing." He reached out to me. "What happened to that brave lass?"

The door flew open, and Luke stood in the doorway, looking terrible. His tie was askew, and his shirt was partially untucked, lines of worry bracketed his mouth and wrinkled his brow. When he saw me standing there, looking pale and uncertain, it was like a string was cut from above him. His shoulders slumped, and he wiped a hand down his face. "Oh, thank the Trees..." he said as he released a weary breath.

Then Luke scooped me up and carried me inside.

"Unhand her!" Venetto said as he grabbed Luke by the shoulder.

"No, Wai--" I held up a hand, but Erick surged forward before I could finish my plea. He knocked Venetto's hand away from Luke and got between the two men. Then he held a sword in his hand that he pointed at the dragon.

"Venetto, this is Luke and Erick. They are of my court. My husbands." I put a hand on Erick's back. "Come on, stop it. He's the blue dragon."

"Yes, I'm her husband," Luke held me tighter in his arms, refusing to put me down.

Erick, was looking at me with hopeful shock. I'd included him.

"She hath fear of thee all!" Venetto protested, mistaking my reactions as fear of my guys.

Before the argument could continue, Dominic and Adrian rushed into the foyer, then everyone else was soon crowding in.

"Matty!" Dominic held out his hands, and Luke let him take me since he was bristling with protective energy against Venetto. Dominic carted me on his hip, like I was a little kid, and cuddled me close as he walked us towards the kitchen. "Do you know how worried we were? So many bad things have happened while you were away."

Luke and Erick stood before Venetto, who spread out his wings in response. It was a good thing that there were no expensive Ming vases or other fragile heirlooms there because the bat-like appendages had a twenty-foot spread.

"Guys! Venetto!" All of their attention snapped to me as I hollered at them. "Come on... let's all eat some late dinner, and I'll tell you everything..."

Although there was still some aggressive posturing, Venetto was finally convinced that no one meant me harm, and he relaxed his wings then followed Luke and Erick.

I returned my attention to Dominic. "Sorry. What's happened?"

"First you. Then me." He joggled me on his hip. "Why didn't you tell us where you were?"

With a steadying breath, I said, "Ciaran kept me too busy meeting people, and dang it, you know I can get distracted even locked in an empty white room. Plus, when I finally tried to contact Adrian, we got disconnected."