Chapter Twenty-Five

"Venetto's coming?" I stared at Jeanne wide-eyed as she shared the shocking news then took a bite of the pastry from the basket that Danela had thrust into Luke's arms before we left. Because of the time, I wasn't at breakfast, so the news had bypassed me until now. After I'd gotten ready, what captured my attention was my quick check on the computer at the information in Lars. The fighting had spilled over into the city, and the Governor and Mayor had sequestered.

There was also a formal email from a vampire from Earth named Simon requesting a meeting today.

After my experience with Joseph, my tolerance for vampires was low.

With everything going on, I doubted I'd be able to entertain them.

No. I didn't want to entertain them.

I clutched my backpack. Yes, crazily, I decided to take it. Inside I had the invisibility mask that Regina gave me, and all the things Mike gave me. I was wearing Luke's necklace, Venetto's ring, and Elsie's bracelet.

All my security blankets in one place.

I was wearing my stupid robe because we were going to do the Becoming ceremony, hopefully, when we got there.

I was happy about that, but not about the robe.

"Venetto had flown on ahead to the temple to talk to Valenia about preparing it for the quick marriage," Luke said, interrupting my thoughts and worries.

Adrian and Luke had taken the seats beside me this time, much to Dominic's displeasure. Luke had a crumb of pastry on his lip, and without thinking about it, I swiped it off and stuck my thumb into my mouth.

Luke took my thieving hand and pressed it to his lips. His light green eyes darkened as his pupils expanded nearly to the edge of the iris. He murmured against my palm. "Madeline, if you keep beguiling me this way, I shall not be able to function enough to strategize our plans against Luis."

"I read that the violence has spilled outside the city gates. "

His lips tightened as he pressed another kiss onto my palm. "You are right to be concerned about Lars. We are not sure what we shall find when we get there."

I swallowed at him, then nodded.

It had been a weird morning of ups and downs after I emerged from my room with Dominic.

Tylas had been at the door, waiting for us. He hadn't wanted to wait to share with us what he could do.

For a long time, pixies had lost the gift of being able to grow and shrink. The Sidhe as well had long since given up their wings and took on a human-like size. It was decided by Duir many years ago that it was unseemly for elegant fae to flit about like tiny, silly insects. Only the lunantisidhe ignored the declaration, choosing to remain as small as a fashion doll. Tylas could shrink even smaller than they, becoming the size of a hummingbird in front of our eyes.

The lunantisidhe was delighted with this turn of events, and he chased Tylas around and around until the poor, terrified pixie dived onto my shoulder and requested sanctuary. I'd scolded my father's little messenger, but he was unrepentant. Instead of asking forgiveness, he pointed to himself and let me know his name was Dimini.

"I know a good nickname for him," Tylas hissed into my ear angrily, and I laughed at the memory. He hadn't left my shoulder since and snuggled up against Klack. Dimini was on my other shoulder with Klick.

I turned my head slightly to speak to Tylas and said, "You know, you could just grow again. I can't think that it's all that comfortable to ride on my bony shoulder."