Chapter Twenty

Dominic carried me all the way to the library after he coaxed me into eating something.

I blinked in surprise when I saw only my banmuinen present when we entered. Dominic sat down with me at one of the chairs and I didn't have the heart to make him let me go. Instead I looked at the women curiously.

"What happened to the guys?"

"I demanded that they leave you be for a few moments. We wanted to talk with you alone," Elsie said as she eyed Dominic.  She tucked a strand of her shiny black hair behind her ear and looked so solemn as she gazed at me. "We were in agony, My Lady! I'm so glad you are okay. The news is bleak but we have each other."

The other women nodded. 

I huffed as I tried not to cry again. Jeanne realized I wanted to keep calm, so she tried to cheer me up. "Perhaps you might want to tell us about the party?"

My brow lifted. "Are you asking me to spill all the tea?"

"I'm not sure what spilling tea has to do with anything, but if you mean we want to know every detail, right down to the buttons on every shirt and dress, then yes." Elsie folded her hands in her lap and looked at me expectantly.

"We also wanted you to know that we are not mad. How could you have prevented being spirited away?" Jeanne smiled at me sweetly, then reached forward to pat me on the leg. "As for the other thing, also not your fault.

Relief flooded me. "Oh, bless you, Jeanne. Thank all the heavens."

"Ditto. Not mad," Beth said. She curled her lip into a smirk.

Elsie folded her hands primly but said nothing. Her silence was odd enough that it caught my notice. I tilted my head curiously at her, and she smiled at me. 

"What's up, Elsie?" 

She stood from her seat and settled herself at my feet, then put her head onto my lap. "I... look at my root, My Lady."

Her root had become more of a solid white. "I felt a sudden peace a few hours ago, and then I felt my soul attach to yours more tightly."

"Wow, Elsie... umm... I felt when it happened.  Are you okay with it?"

She lifted her head from my lap and stared at me resolutely, "Of course I am, My Lady. My inclusion is an honor. But..." She searched my face. "How do you feel?"

I wasn't sure how to take it. It was a complication I hadn't thought about. "Let's talk soon, when there's more time."

 I pulled out the potion that my father gave me as a way to steer the conversation away until I could examine my feelings. "My father gave this to me to try to help me with the taint."  My hand shook as I looked at the golden liquid.

"Looks like pee." 

I wrinkled my nose. "No, Beth, it's blood. He cut me, and I bleed gold."

"Gross."

I snorted. "Rude."

"Is that taint the reason you tried to eat the warden?" Jeanne settled on the ground to my left to examine the bottle in my hand.

"Yep. I've been tainted by vampire venom."

Dominic cuddled me and his body trembled.

Jeanne grasped my knee and looked horrified. "Will you be okay?"

"The Straif says it's incurable. Joseph apparently planned it, but didn't consider the cost." At least he paid dearly.

Jeanne made a noise of alarm and hugged both my knees. "Oh no...my poor Lady!"