Chapter 3

Chloe's pov

I dressed Lany up for a quick beach visit. The rest of the pogues were going with us. I still think about Rafe. Every single day. I see Rafe in Lany so much, like his smile and his dark blonde hair. My mind would always wonder to the possibilities if we were still a family. Then I remember what he did and I'm glad I got me and Lany away from him. He deserved it... from the lies and heartbreak he caused me. Especially bringing Lany into a life like that was something I never wanted. He just did not care for anyone but himself.

1 year ago~

The waves were getting bigger and bigger as we watched from The Wreck. "Another hurricane Jonny" I spoke as the host set our plates down, "Yeah Miss Chloe, ironically this one around the same time Agatha hit us a while back" I scrunched up my nose at the memories. The Good and the bad ones.

"Rafe, pass me the ranch" I said as Lany tossed her sippy cup at the ground, "Cmon Lane, stop throwing it" I huffed as picked it up for the ninth time since we have been sitting here. Rafe smiled and started smothering her with kisses. Lany abrupted in a fit of giggles. She had Rafe wrapped around her finger.

"I don't know if we should go to ours or my dads, since we are so close to the water, Rafe" I spoke as I strapped Lany in her car seat. "We can go grab some stuff and go to your dads, he wouldn't mind if we stayed while he was away" Rafe said pulling out the dirt lot now.

"Why's he there" I asked once we pulled into our gravel driveway to see Barry standing near our door. "Country Club!" Barry mocked, "Barry leave now man, don't come here like this" Rafe spoke, "I've come to collect my money Rafe" he said to him and my eye brows furrowed. I turned to Rafe as I closed the car door not to wake up Lany who fell asleep on the drive back. "What is he talking about? What money?" I asked staring at Rafe, who wouldn't look at me and kept his eyes on Barry.

"Rafe" I said again and he turned towards me, guilt all over his face and his eyes holding slight fear. "Lady country club, your man here has been selling some stuff for me and I came to collect what is rightfully mine, ain't that right Rafe" Barry spoke.

"Barry shut the fuck up" Rafe seethed at him. My heart dropped and I could feel it beating in my uterus. "What the fuck" I spoke as I stared at Rafe, "tell me he's joking Rafe" I said once again. Rafe kept avoiding looking at me and held his focus on a smug looking Barry. "I'm working for us, to get more for us so we can move to a better part of the Island" Rafe said as his gaze turned to me. "Unbelievable Rafe!" I almost yelled at him, "Do you not understand the shit you can get into..wait have you used it?" I asked him, "Once." He spoke and I closed my eyes trying to recollect myself before I exploded at him. 

We heard Barry laugh out loud. Rafe and I snapped our necks over to him. I narrowed my eyes at Barry. "You ain't tell her yet? Chloe you should sit down for this" Barry spoke, Rafe shoved him and Barry only laughed as he looked at me. "Your man here been using even before you was a thing and get this he killed Peterk-" Rafe lunged forward and punched Barry in the face. 

My heart went back into my throat and was lodged there.

Rafe killed Sheriff Peterkin. I let him into my life and let him be a dad to Lany, while I had no idea he was a fucking murderer. 

Hi all! It's been too long but I am on summer break now. Looking forward to finishing this book this summer. Feedback and your lovely comments are always welcome. <3