twelve

twelve; IT WOULD ALWAYS BE US

"I have a plan."

Ember could still hear those four words whispered to her. She could still feel Haymitch's lips at the corner of her own, his stubble scratching at her cheek in such a pleasant way.

"Keep the Mockingjay safe."

She stepped off the elevator and walked down the white hallway. When she located the door with a large '8' painted onto it, she stopped before it and hesitated as her fingers hovered over the handle.

Ember took a deep shuttering breath and allowed her hands to enclose around the handle, and she entered the Launch Room. At the sight of the encased tube, flashes of blood and bodies flashed before her eyes, alongside the wails of agony during the bloodbath, Burton's last words, and the sound Paris' head made when it connected with the concrete.

Ember blinked. It all disappeared.

The Launch Room wasn't empty. In the corner, by the table of food and beverage sat Calico in all his glory. Despite her impending doom, Ember couldn't stop the smile that bloomed at the sight of the boy.

She crossed the room, and Calico met her in the middle. Wrapping his muscular arms around her padded waist, he held on tightly as she hugged his middle and pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek.

"It's okay." She told him mournfully when she saw the glassy look in his green eyes, "It's okay, I'm okay."

"I-I know." He spoke in one heavy breath as his voice hitched, "Thank you, I'm sorry."

Ember took one step back and placed her hands on his cheeks. She stared forcefully at the man she'd watched grow from that grieving boy to the terrified tribute, traumatised victor and now the man who was about to lose another person.

"I don't regret volunteering." She told him, her tone sharp and strong, "Neither does Woof. Celia has children, you and Aspen are about to start a family. It does not matter if you all weren't parents. It would always be us." She blinked back her tears, "Do you understand me?"

Calico sniffled, exhaling harshly. But he slowly nodded when Ember pulled him down to her height and pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead before she patted his tear-stained cheek and finally let go with a sad smile.

"You give Aspen and Celia my love." She told him with a smile, "And watch out for Thread."

Her voice broke at the mention of her older brother, "Make sure he doesn't lose himself."

Make sure he doesn't start another uprising, she wanted to say. But Calico knew what she meant.

"You'll make sure to do all of those things yourself." At her stern look, he reiterated, "I promise."

"Good." She whispered.

A voice echoes the room, instructing her to prepare for launch and the comfortable silence became stiff.

It was silent for a moment as the two stared at one another, a million and one things left unsaid because how do you say goodbye to a twenty-year constant in your life?

Calico reached forward and hugged Ember tightly. Rapidly, she blinked to not burst into tears as she held him tightly. When they broke apart, he allowed his fingers to graze her forearm before he grasped her hand, and Ember felt something cold touch her palm. They let go, and she closed her fingers into a fist, protecting whatever he had handed her. They remained silent while Calico appeared to be debating himself.

"You look ridiculous." He finally said, and loudly, Ember laughed as she glanced down at her attire with a visible disgust that almost made Calico laugh.