thirteen

thirteen; IDENTICAL RINGS

Ember's first mistake was opening her mouth to breathe too late, so as the water enveloped her body, salty liquid filled her mouth. She spluttered as she tried to breathe, only to receive the same treatment. Surprisingly, she had not begun to sink, and the woman quickly allowed her head to break the surface.

Coughing harshly, she attempted to inhale the fresh air greedily as she kicked her legs to stay afloat. When Ember finally caught her breath, she found the nearest stretch of land to her and turned in the direction of it. She kicked and kicked, her lungs screaming at her each time she got another mouthful of water.

In her peripheral vision, there were already so many tributes on land, which only made Ember grit her teeth and push herself harder until her hand finally hit the rocky edge. She gripped it tightly.

Using all her upper body strength, Ember heaved herself up and out of the water. Despite her lungs still screaming their protest, the woman didn't allow herself time to rest. She pulled herself up immediately and sprinted in the direction of the Cornucopia, the screams already filling the air.

Her muscles tensed in anticipation as she ducked a spear and scanned the golden horn for her favourite weapons. The first friend in the arena she finally saw was Woof in the distance, as he stumbled toward the golden horn on shaky legs.

Her relief at seeing him is short-lived. The horrified scream left her lips far too late, and he pushed her legs to new distances as the man from 9 turned to her, his blade glistening with the blood of her mentor.

Blood pumping loudly, Ember's smirk was feral when she finally located the throwing knives. She dove to avoid the hunting knife aimed for her throat, and her left hand grasped the handle of a blade.

Deftly, she rolled and pulled herself up into a crouch just in time for 9 to spin around and begin to charge once again. She rolled her shoulders and flicked her wrist, releasing the blade. It grazed 9's shoulder sharply as it whizzed past the man, who began to cackle as he continued to run at her.

"You've lost your touch, 8." He roared with laughter.

Blinded with her rage, Ember grinned. When he was within arms distance, she grasped the knife beside her, fluidly got to her feet, and thrust it into his gut. She wasted no time to twist the knife before she ripped the serrated blade out violently and pushed the knife back in with no hesitation that it almost terrified her.

"No." She breathed into his ear when his laughter turned to breathless wheezes, "I really didn't."

He dropped to his knees, still attempting to reach for her. Emotionlessly, she shoved him away from her and sprinted toward Woof. She dropped to her knees by his head and pressed her shaking hand against his side to slow the bleeding.

"You're okay." She murmured, her voice hoarse and shaking as Woof glanced up, his bloody lips pulling up into a smile.

"I am, now." He whispered to her.

"You're going to be okay." Her voice wobbled, tears welling up in her eyes which she attempted to blink back to no avail as they began to slip down her cheeks.

With a trembling hand, Woof reached out and placed his hand over Ember's and squeezed it as hard as he could. He looked up at her with his hooded eyes, nodding once more as his grasp on her hand began to weaken.

"It's okay." He told her, accidentally cutting her off when she began to speak, "I knew I wouldn't last long, kinda shit that it was the idiot from 9 who did me in, though. Do me one favour?"

Ember laughed shakily, and she leaned down to press a kiss onto his forehead, "Anything."

"Do what H wanted you to." He told her, and she nodded quickly.