Percy fights for the hundredth time

ALI KNEW PERCY was an excellent fighter. She just hopped he'd be good enough to not only survive himself but to get her and the others out alive. There was nothing she could do to help him though. Nothing but to sit back and watch the son of Poseidon duel to the death.

The dracaena jabbed at him experimentally. Percy stepped away. She threw her net, hoping to tangle his sword hand, but he sidestepped easily, sliced her spear in half, and stabbed Riptide through a chink in her armor. With a painful wail, she vaporized into nothing, and the cheering of the crowd died.

"No!" Antaeus bellowed. "Too fast! You must wait for the kill. Only I give that order!"

He glanced over at Annabeth and Rachel, then his eyes darting to where Ali was tied up. 

"Nice job, Percy." Luke smiled. "You've gotten better with the sword. I'll grant you that."

"Round two!" Antaeus yelled. "And slower this time! More entertainment! Wait for my call before killing anybody. OR ELSE!"

The gates opened again, and this time a young warrior came out. He was a little older than Percy, about sixteen. He had glossy black hair, and his left eye was covered with an eye patch. He was thin and wiry so his Greek armor hung on him loosely. He stabbed his sword into the dirt, adjusted his shield straps, and pulled on his horsehair helmet.

"Who are you?" Percy asked.

"Ethan Nakamura," he said. "I have to kill you."

"No shit sherlock." Cursed Ali under her breath. She was tired of everything at this point. All she wanted to do was to go back to the Demeter cabin and dream about the gorgeous girl with kaleidoscope eyes. But no, she was stuck being dead and tied up. What a wonderful time she was having.

"Why are you doing this?" Percy asked.

"Hey!" a monster jeered from the stands. "Stop talking and fight already!" The others took up the call.

"I have to prove myself," Ethan told me. "Only way to join up."

And with that he charged. Their swords met in midair and the crowd roared. 

He pressed forward. He was good. He'd never been at Camp Half-Blood, as far as she knew, but he'd been trained. He parried Percy's strike and almost slammed Percy with his shield, but Percy jumped back. He slashed. He rolled to one side. They exchanged thrusts and parries, getting a fell for each other's fighting style. Percy tried to keep on Ethan's blind side, but it didn't help much. He'd apparently been fighting with only one eye for a long time, because he was excellent at guarding his left.

"Blood!" the monsters cried.

He yelled an angry battle cry and charged Percy, but he parried his blade and backed away, letting him come after Percy.

"Boo!" Antaeus said. "Stand and fight!"

Ethan pressed him, but Percy had no trouble defending, even without a shield. He was dressed for defense—heavy armor and shield—which made it very tiring to play offense. Percy was a softer target, but he also was lighter and faster. The crowd went nuts, yelling complaints and throwing rocks. They'd been fighting for almost five minutes and there was no blood.

Finally Ethan made his mistake. He tried to jab at his stomach, and he locked his sword hilt in mine and twisted. His sword dropped into the dirt. Before he could recover, Percy slammed the butt of his sword into his helmet and pushed him down. His heavy armor helped him more than him. He fell on his back, dazed and tired. Percy put the tip of my sword on his chest.

"Get it over with," Ethan groaned.

Ali looked up at Antaeus. His red face was stony with displeasure, but he held up his hand and put it thumbs down.

"Forget it." Percy sheathed my sword.

"Don't be a fool," Ethan groaned. "They'll just kill us both."

Percy offered him my hand. Reluctantly, he took it. He helped him up.

As kind as that gesture was, Percy was a fool to do so.

"No one dishonors the games!" Antaeus bellowed. "Your heads shall both be tributes to Poseidon!"

He looked at Ethan. "When you see your chance, run." Then I turned back to Antaeus. "Why don't you fight me yourself? If you've got Dad's favor, come down here and prove it!"

The monsters grumbled in the stands. Antaeus looked around, and apparently realized he had no choice. He couldn't say no without looking like a coward.

This was exactly the moment when Alison lost all faith in Percy completely. Her old crush on him, out the window. He was going to get them killed. More so in Ali's case then Annabeth's.

"I am the greatest wrestler in the world, boy," he warned. "I have been wrestling since the first pankration!"

"Pankration?" Percy asked.

"He means fighting to the death," Ethan said. "No rules. No holds barred. It used to be an Olympic sport."

"Thanks for the tip," Percy said.

"Don't mention it."

Rachel was watching him with wide eyes. Annabeth shook her head emphatically, the Laistrygonian's hand still clamped over her mouth.

Percy pointed his sword at Antaeus. "Winner takes all! I win, we all go free. You win, we die. Swear upon the River Styx."

Antaeus laughed. "This shouldn't take long. I swear to your terms!"

He leaped off the railing, into the arena.

"Good luck," Ethan told Percy. "You'll need it." Then he backed up quickly.

Antaeus cracked his knuckles. He grinned, and he saw that even his teeth were etched in wave patterns, which must've made brushing after meals a real pain.

"Weapons?" he asked.

"I'll stick with my sword. You?"

He held up his huge hands and wiggled his fingers. "I don't need anything else! Master Luke, you will referee this one."

Luke smiled down at me. "With pleasure."

"Wait!" Screamed Ali. The crowd went silent as she kept talking. It was a risk from what she was about to say, but it felt right. "Let me fight with Percy. Me and him against Antaeus."

Laughter erupted around the crowd, Percy looked at her as if she were insane. And she sort of was.

Before anyone or even herself could change her mind, Luke and already untied her and dragged  her over next to Percy. A gleeful expression across his face. "Your an idiot Alison Knight. Have fun dying again."

Percy looked at her as if she were a lunatic. But Ali felt the need to prove herself. Not just to the others, but to herself as well. So if this killed her properly, then that didn't matter. As long as she went out with a bang.

"Trust me." She whispered to Percy.

Antaeus lunged.

----