10.

Cassie

December 9th, 1975

Lily was coming back to Hogwarts today. Cassie was so happy she felt like she'd get a headache. The winter ball was the following Saturday and Cassie had finally gotten the courage to ask her. Even if she rejected her, Cassie would still be satisfied at her bravery. She was a Gryffindor, but around girls she lost every trait that her house represented.

She was pacing back and forth in the common room when Lily finally arrived. Almost everybody had gone to Hogsmeade that day. There was a couple people in the common room, but other than that it was pretty empty.

The moment she walked in, Cassie ran up and hugged her. She practically lifted her off the ground. Lily laughed.

"I didn't know you missed me so much."

"Are you insane? Of course I did."

She grinned. "I wrote you everyday."

"It's not the same."

"I suppose you're right," Lily said. "Do you want to go somewhere?"

"We could go to Hogsmeade," Cassie suggested. She really didn't want to go.

"Sure! I wanna see everybody."

Cassie nodded slowly, fighting against a frown. "Oh. Yeah, I bet they want to see you." They both walked out together.

Lily nudged her. "Are you okay? You seem mad all of a sudden."

"What? No. I'm fine, Evans. I was just expecting to hangout with you."

"You are-"

"Alone," she stated.

Lily smiled. "We could do that. Do you want to go somewhere else?"

She smirked. "Yes. Follow me."

Cassie led her to the Astronomy Tower. On their way there, Lily had slipped her hand into hers insisting that Cassie had walked "too fast" and that she didn't want to get "lost." Cassie thought this was odd since they were only going to the Astronomy Tower until she remembered that to Lily it was a surprise. When they reached the tower, Lily let go of her hand. It moved to her mouth which was agape, her eyes wide.

"Cassie. . . I don't even know what to say."

The tower was decorated in the sweetest way. There were floating lights hanging near the ceiling. Flowers and plants were scattered everywhere making it look like a garden and giving it an amazing scent. There was a record player in the corner playing all of Lily's favorite songs. Cassie had memorized every single one and practically begged Remus to let her borrow his vinyls. "At last" by Etta James was playing.

"It's nice isn't it?"

"Nice? Cassie this is amazing. What's it for?"

She took a shot before Lily came back. She thought it'd give her more confidence, but her nerves came back. She swallowed. "It's for you."

"That explains the Etta. But why? Are you proposing to me?" She laughed, not in a mean way. In a kind, sweet way that made her heart beat really fast.

"Um, Evans?"

"Yeah?"

"Fuck. How do I put this? Um-"

"Hey, you know the routine. Look at me."

Cassie looked at Lily, picked up a rose--a purple one that she dyed herself--and handed it to her. "Do you want to go to the ball with me?"

Lily took the rose, her cheeks visibly coloring. A small smile grew on her lips, and she looked at Cassie for a moment. "Why are you asking me?"